barn building estimates?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Corgitails, May 2, 2005.

1. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

A few folks have posted links to barn building companies in the past- can someone repost those? I had no luck searching for them.

Trying to estimate cost of a 40x60 (or so, bigger'd be better- other dog trainers, give me opinions, please- I am looking at moving and in new place won't have an indoor place to teach classes and will need to be teaching year round) structure for holding indoor obedience/agility classes in.

Cait

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Depending on where you're located, there's probably a farm related newspaper that will list the builders. There's one that serves PA, NJ, DE, MD and WV and another that serves OH & WV that I'm familiar with. I'm sure other areas of the country would have something similar.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    GO into google with 'metal buildings kits' for the cheapest avenue to this problem's cure.

4. Corgitails

moopups - thanks- knew there was a search term I wasn't figuring out.

This will, if it happens, be in Texas- there probably is a farm paper, but I am not there at the moment and wasn't having any luck with google- 2/3 of the battle is knowing what search term to use!

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Depends on your area I think. But here in OK there is an ad in the local Penny News for a 30x40x10 building, including 4 inch concrete slab floor, and labor for 10,900$. Doesn't include windows or doors, but all other materials. Doesn't mention insulation, think that is extra.. I would expect a 40x60 to be not quite twice as much (since it is twice the SF).

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................A finished slab will run about 4 per sq. foot . So , 40 x 60 = 2400 , and 4 x 2400 = 9600 . I priced a 40 x 40 with a 12 x 14 door and 4' x 7' entry , metal door and it was about 14,000 . This was No windows and no labor to erect . I would just guesstimate that a finished metal bldg. for around 15 a sq. foot . So 2400 x 15 = 36000 + 9600 =45,600 . Not cheap but alot less than a standard 110\foot for a standard wooden home . fordy.. :)

7. Corgitails

Here's the tricky thing- I don't want a concrete floor. If I put concrete in, I will have to spend oodles of money on rubber matting because you can't safely jump dogs on concrete.

Thanks for the estimate help guys! I think I will go back to my original model of just doing in-home stuff! :D
    Cait

8. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

It will probably depend where you are. A buddy helped me built an insulated 30x40x10 about a year ago and it was about $8000. But this was before steel went up. We did all the work including slab so it saved a lot. Concrete is still pretty cheap here about 55/yd for contractors. We have done a lot of shop slabs, driveways etc for $3-4sq ft. Heres an easy way to build we used. use prebuilt 40ft pipe truss $350ea spaced every 10ft on 10ft 4inch squre tubing($45ea) 2x4 c-purling each side of truss spaced 4 ft (.95ft) 26g R-panel $2-3 linear ft (covers 3ft wide).

9. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Theres the problem - we didn't know where you are, or what you want for a building. :)

All metal, wood post/metal skin, metal arch, need insulation, need heat and/or cooling, and so forth.

Used to be the metal arch was the cheapest if you didn't need frills, but times have changed.

You might want to look into the fabric hoop buildings, they are generally 1/3 less than a metal building, and appear to be more durable than I would have thought. Heating & cooling can work well in a temperate climate with those as well. Dirt/ gravel floor is cheaper, so don't consider that a 'problem'. :)

--->Paul

10. Corgitails

Fabric hoop buildings? Never heard of that in any size but greenhouse sized.

Doesn't need heating or cooling, will be putting lights in, all it needs to do is keep the ground dry and enough wind off that we can use it if it's above feezing. A lot of the horse arenas I've seen have open sides with a rail fence- that sort of thing'd work fine. Need at least enough floor psace to teach a class, which honestly is variable- I *want* 100 x 120, I know I can't afford it. :D

Cait

11. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Check out www.Farmtek.com Quick look and I found one 45x100

12. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

We just finished putting up a 24x26 farmtek hoop barn with a 12' height. Cost us $2,000 with delivery. Put it up fairly quickly with just the 2 of us. I like it a lot. Will eventually build a wooden barn and convert it to greenhouse.

13. Corgitails

See, links like that farmtek one are why I love you guys. Would nEVER have found that on my own. :D