Barn building costs.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, Jun 8, 2005.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

We have spoken with a barn builder in the area of our land and he builds the sort of barn we are looking for-a good old styled barn.

We gave him the picture of the barn we would be interested in having built and he told us what he builds.

He uses 3/4'' T&G OSB for the subflooring upstairs.

Siding is 2x8 sawmill pine siding.

Roof would be 3 'galvalume metal.He quoted a price of $2.32/foot.

He wants us to go up there and take a look at wha he builds so we see the quality(which is a good excuse.. :D ) and finally gave a rough figure for his costs.

He just built a 36'x36' barn like we want for $16,000.We are not sure if that includes a concrete slab,but he knows we want it at least on a partial slab.

This seems like a good price to us but we aren't up on barn pricing.
    Works out at just over $6/square foot.Not sure if that is how you price barns.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Oz you better check your math...it works out to a little over $12 per foot....

3. oz in SC

It has two floors.

Also there will be two dormers if that adds any costs to the equation.

4. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

That seems like a good price. I know a year and a half ago I had one built. One of the prefab units. Post and beam style. The post holding it up were 12x12 and it had a metal roof and metal truss's. Mine was $12,500 with no sides, just the roof and posts. Mine is 50x50. Mine also has a second level(loft) that the floor is 14 ft off the ground and covers 36x30.

5. flascrub

flascrub Member

oz, i just completed a 64x30 pole barn with shed roof last week. entire structure is pt lumber with 26 gauge galvalume roofing. 6x6 posts were set on 2x2x2 concrete footing pads. rafters are set on two foot centers and entire structure is bolted together with 5/8 galv fittings. it took 2 men (myself and business partner) 7 days total to erect over a 2 week period. neither one of us are carpenters, but with a little common sense anyone can do this type of constuction. this building (approx. 1920sf for a little less than 5k) could easily be enclosed and made livable for another 5 or 6k. the east central fl town i built this structure in has no building permits needed, if you dont live in the structure. no permits or inspection is almost unheard of anywhere anymore, much less in fl. the building itself should take up to a category 3 hurricane with no problems. you really should give building your own structure a shot. all construction was done with common hand tools and chain saw.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

what is the purpose for the barn? work shop? livestock (what species?)? hay storage? garage? Why have dormers?

7. oz in SC

Upstairs will be an apartment.

Downstairs whatever.

Dormers for light.

Flascrub,was this a metal sided barn?

Thanks fo rthe replies.

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I had a gambrel roof style 2 story barn built about 10 years ago. It had same subflooring as you menion. The siding was unfinished as the frame was covered with 1/2" plywood. The roof was metal with the venting top. The foundation perimeter was 2' poured concrete upon which the 2 x 6 framing was built. 2 large 10 x 10 sliding doors on each end of the 30 x 40 ft. Barn. Cost to the builders was around $15,000 at the time.
    Add to that the base of 200 yd. of pit run because of a slight slope to correct which added an extra $1500. Another load of washed gravel for half cost another $150 and then I finished a 20 x 20 section myself with concrete for a work area and walled that off which I don't remember the extra cost of that. The barn still needs siding. It's only painted over the plywood exterior sheeting to this day, so that will eventually be an extra expense.
    This is building cost that is similar in upper midwest from what I understand.

9. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

10. oz in SC

Agmantoo,how BIG is that barn???

It looks HUGE. :D

I will PM you about details.

Thanks very much for the offer.

11. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Oz, looks like you could have a home AND a nice size chicken coop out of that size building! :)

12. oz in SC

Its a big'n....And VERY nice of Agmantoo to offer.

13. flascrub

flascrub Member

oz,just a pole barn with metal galvalume roof. 26 gauge galvalume 2nds go for .50sf here in my area. for siding, you could use metal or the t-11 hardie board (cement board), i prefer this over standard t-11 and its insect proof. as has been stated by many on here before pole buildings are snap to construct and can be built quicker and as strong or stronger than conventional stick framing. you are actually building individual bays which can be enclosed for any amount of livable square footage that you desire. if you dont use concrete for footings and just sink the pt posts in the ground (will not last as long, but in nc should give you many years of service) this type of structure goes up that much faster. would be happy to send you my plans for my structure, they are hand drawn with material list.