Bare land prices where you are.....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by donsgal, May 21, 2005.

1. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Greetings from the beautiful Missouri Ozarks.

DH and I are always thinking and talking about buying our little bit of heaven one day and getting away from it all. Trouble is, around these parts land has ZOOMED up from about $1,000 an acre five years ago to $2,500 - $3,500 an acre for the same land.

Also too, civilization is slowly creeping in where there once were no PLANNING AND ZONING laws now there are. Once where there were no building codes or inspections now there are. De long arm o' de law is creeping ever-so imperceptively into every single aspect of life and frankly, I think it stinks.

Therefore, we are checking out other places. Can you folks let me in on what land goes for in your neck of the woods and what kind of "rules and regulations" a body has to deal with just to have a little farm to call their own?

Thanks everybody for your input.

donsgal.

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

What county you in donsgal? I know here in Dallas county its still $800-$1,000,no regulations.

But like you say getting crowded,so things are sure to change.

big rockpile

3. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I live in the Black Hills of SD. Here the price of bare land is running about $10,000 an acre. That is fairly stable as that is what we paid 8 years ago. With water and utilities it is $15,000. On the prairie it is about $500 an acre once you get out away from town. Which is the reason we now only have a little over 1.5 acres and plan to sell this and buy a place with more land on the prairie.

Cheryl in SD

4. 4sarge

4sarge Well-Known Member

If you can believe the economists, land prices are going to be coming down and level off after reaching an inflated high. Land is becoming cheaper in the rust belt states and those with colder climes because folks are wanting to live in a milder or warmer environment (me included).

I can hardly believe the inflated prices that housing is going for these days. I'd rather build to my specs and find some suitable acreage maybe with some free standing outbuildings.

Some zoning and building codes are not all bad but I do not prefer the restrictive yoke of big brother either.

I still need to find some affordable scenic real estate sold preferably by owner or a Realtor with some ethics. I'm not planning on farming 100's of acres but would need some flat ground for a house, some cross fencing for some small animals, barn or other outbuilding, semi private, no zero lot line neighbors and where I can be a good neighbor only when needed otherwise unseen. It seems the larger parcels go for the better prices and would need to find a suitable candidate to split the land with if I went that route.

Not looking to buy from a Realtor who has speculated, cut the parcels into "mini farms" or wanting to sell to me at a grossly over inflated price at a monthly rate that is all (interest) profit for them.

Checked on the Ozark land site (not the Ozarks - the Realtor) but it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

Probably unrealistic view but it's mine :D

5. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Depending on whether its prairie or wooded, close to town or not, land here in North Central Idaho goes for about $5,000 an acre.

There are no building codes in our county, but there are in the various city limits.

The climate here is so-so. We probably use heat about 8-9 months of the year. It gets up into the 100s every so often in the summer, but usually stays in the 80s-90s.

Guns, hunting and fishing are a way of life. We have open carry laws and if you want a concealed permit, you will get one as long as you are not disqualified due to domestic violence, mental illness, past violent felony convictions, etc.

The pay scale here is poor, so it's best if one has a retirement income to live on. There are opportunities for part-time employment.

The state is homeschool friendly, if you have children.

Okay, probably more than you wanted to know!

God bless your search.

6. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Eastern SD, I've seen farm land on either side of $3000.

7. big rockpile

KC You can't go by him as far as land prices he is 3 to 5 times higher than everyone else.Even though I bought my land through him 12 years ago. :rolleyes:

big rockpile

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in NW Mississippi it can go for $1500 per acre to $25000 (that's three zeros) per acre. Depends on which county you're looking at, which is why we bought in Tate County four years ago. The county just above us, Desoto County, is outrageous...plus the subdivisions are going up overnight.

We had to get a building permit to build our house, but that's pretty much it for restrictions as far as I know. Oh, we weren't allowed to build in the flood plain (and there's LOTS of flood plain around here...makes land cheaper and keeps out the neighbors).

9. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

In the area I'm looking at it goes for around $1500-$4000 an acre in larger parcels, depending on the usual factors. I haven't been paying attention long enough to know if this is stable or rising prices. This is within an hours drive of the suburbs of a big city, about 1.5 hours to downtown.

10. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I am in Stone County. I hear that Barry county, just to the west is still more "rural" and has no planning and zoning and you can get land for about $1,500 an acre in some out-of-the-way spots. Problem is around here (ozarks), it is so hilly with so many hollers and draws that you can own 20 acres and only 5 of it is good for anything. I would like to get some nicer, flatter "farm" type land someplace but stuff like that around here is waaaaaaay to expensive.

I have heard that Wright county (Ava, Mansfield), is nice farm land and not too, terribly expensive. If they aren' too overbearing with their rules and regulations maybe I will check that out. I am not real familiar with Dallas County, but I'll check that out as well. THanks for the repy.

donsgal

11. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Take a gander at rural Arkansas. I know there are some fairly inexpensive places there. Around the Buffalo river is very scenic and you might be able to find enough flat land to build and grow - maybe. Also around Yellville it is pretty reasonable from what I am told. And if you don't mind the ticks it can make a nice homestead.

donsgal
    who doesn't mind the Missouri ticks too much

12. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Farmlnad, $5,500 and up.

land for development, $11,000 and up. More if it's wooded.

Can we afford to keep farming here? Maybe not. Don't know waht we'll do ...

ann

13. big rockpile

donsgal if you go North of me where you start to drope off the hills into Henry,Benton,Morgan or Moniteau Counties,I think land is still reasonable,lot more dirt than rocks,plus the Job Market starts to pick up about there.

I would go back to Cooper County but they ran me out and won't let me back in :waa:

big rockpile

14. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Pretty much most of Central, Western, and Northern NY is still $1000 an acre. Taxes are bit high, and good jobs are scarce.

15. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I'll have to check out Realtor.com to see what pops up. Thanks for the info. Hopefully there is a few fishin' spots up that way to keep DH happy :)

Hey how do you put those smlies in posts? (looking around), I don't see them anywhere!@

donsgal

16. big rockpile

Some of the best river fishing in the state up that way.

Smilies :confused: You can go over to the left click on (Show All Smilies) click on the one you want.

big rockpile

17. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

check out http://www.morealestate.net/listings.htm

Look at listing RTC308

we just went and saw this property this weekend. It needs brushhogged bad but you can tell its a beatiful spot.

we saw another place that we liked a bit better, so I though we'd pass this along

18. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Countryside land is about $1500 to $2500 per acre if you can find someone who want' to sell. More available and down to $650 per acre for larger tracts say, over 100 acres.

If you live here the best way to find land is to do what the listing brokers do - go find the land, see who owns it, make an offer.

19. big rockpile

pcdreams $45,000 is little too high on that property.Its not worth over $1,000 an acre.You have the same rocks,hills,and low Job Market.

There was a 135 acres across the road from me sold for $135,000 last year the People are just now finding out they gave too much for it and about to to loose it.I started to buy it I was going to put Turkey Barn and Cattle on it.But it only had 2 small Ponds for water,and all the Fence had to be replaced.It did have small House and couple Sheds.

Just my .02 on it.

big rockpile