Banned Weather ?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goat mother, May 30, 2005.

1. goat mother

goat mother Active Member

We Banned A Kid A Few Weeks Ago And His Sack Fell Off Today. We Looked Under His Belly Today To See What It Looked Like. He Has A Very Big Open Ring With Two Little Holes Inside It. Very Red And Open. It Is A Little Bigger Than A 1/2 Dollar. Is This Normal Or Did We Go Up To High? What Should We Put On It For The Flys They Are Starting Around Here? This Was Our First Time To Band.
    Please Help.
    Felcia

2. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Wow, Felcia, I hope someone answers your question...we too have banded for the first time this year...we must be a few days behind you because our little goat has not lost the sack yet...We might have the same issue here too!
    Good luck!!

Belinda

3. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

This happened to ours after the vet had banded him and gave him a tetanous shot. I was scared to death for him. I had to have my DH hold his back legs up and I cleansed the area with a mild peroxide/water solution, then spayed him with Furacin. It took several sprayings until it started to heal, which also took several weeks. It was scarey to look at as ours had a large gaping area, and it looked so red and angry, and some drainage after the sac fell off.

4. goat mother

goat mother Active Member

THANKS A LOT THAT REALLY HELPS ME. I WAS SO UPSET I THOUGHT WE HAD DONE SOMETHING WRONG. I HOPE HE WILL DO WELL. I HAVE SEEN ON HERE ABOUT CUTTING THE SACK 3/4'S UPA ND PUULING THEM OUT. I AM NOT SURE AS WHAT TO DO THE VET HERE COST $35.OO FOR THE VIST AND 15 FOR THE WORK IT SELF. WHO CAN AFFORD THAT WHEN YOU HAV E 5 OR 6 TO BE WEATHERED. THANKS AGAIN. I CAN RELAX A LITTLE.

5. hoggfan

hoggfan Active Member

I've banded all my buck kids and all you need to do i just put some 7% iodine solution on the wound, they will be fine.

6. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

The younger, the better. The smaller the testicles and scrotal sac are, the faster and easier the healing will be. When we first started raising sheep and goats, I believed a couple of nearby breeders who liked to wait "a bit" to see if the bucks showed any potential to grow to be breeding stock. Big mistake, every day that goes by makes the job bigger and harder. But then, I've also gotten pretty mean about buck selection too. If they're not phenomenal on paper, out of superb stock, hit the ground running and look like a winner in the first week, they're not going to improve and the world is over-run with mediocre bucks, stallions and bulls.

But I digress..... I try now to get them before they're 2 weeks old, place the band just above the testicles (push them down into the sack and place the band), and make sure not to catch the teats (yes, bucks have little undeveloped teats on either side of the sac), and you'll be fine. What scares me is how terribly long it takes a larger scrotum to dry up. Think of the difference between drying a grape and drying an orange. Lots more opportunity for rot and other disasters to befall the orange, while the grape is a raisin in a couple of days! :rolleyes:

Susan