Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bank mergers. My bank is mergering with "Sister Bank" Name of bank will remain the same. The banks have the same name but are different banks and will become one bank. They will be closed over the week in to do the merger. Everthing is supposed to be the same with my account numbedr. Anyone have their back Merging with sister bank. Any infor will be helpful. Thank you , Gerold.

·
Registered
36,826 Posts
I led bank mergers from an IT infrastructure perspective for a few years.

Nothing takes more priority internally of a bank than a merger. It is a get it right or die scenario

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I led bank mergers from an IT infrastructure perspective for a few years.

Nothing takes more priority internally of a bank than a merger. It is a get it right or die scenario
Would it be best to change to a bigger bank. This bank has been in business for 50 years. Small town bank with about 12 branch banks in towns close by. They are mergering with a sister bank which is the same name but is a different bank. They call the other bank (Sister) bank. However i don't do business with the sister bank. However when the merger takes place i can use both banks.

·
Registered
36,826 Posts
Would it be best to change to a bigger bank. This bank has been in business for 50 years. Small town bank with about 12 branch banks in towns close by. They are mergering with a sister bank which is the same name but is a different bank. They call the other bank (Sister) bank. However i don't do business with the sister bank. However when the merger takes place i can use both banks.
Stay with you bank, and let things unfold.

Banks are very conscience of a similar management culture before entertaining a merger.

You can easily change banks later if you do not like the new, merged bank

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hve a lot of money in saving account in my present bank. Maybe i should change banks? There may be a run on this bank with people changing banks.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stay with you bank, and let things unfold.

Banks are very conscience of a similar management culture before entertaining a merger.

You can easily change banks later if you do not like the new, merged bank
Thanks i will stay with the bank and see how things go for now. I don't have a checking account at the bank. Just a savings account. I may take 1/2 money out of my bank and put the money in my other banks. I hve an account in a big bank that i have savings and checking accounts.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks i will stay with the bank and see how things go for now. I don't have a checking account at the bank. Just a savings account. I may take 1/2 money out of my bank and put the money in my other banks. I hve an account in a big bank that i have savings and checking accounts.
Bank has FDIC. that covers accounts.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Bank has FDIC. that covers accounts.
In the late 80's I saw banks close in Odessa, Texas. FDIC paid ten cents on the dollar, and gave people a letter explaining that when or if they were able to liquidated the assets of the bank it would be shared evenly with everyone. I won't be trusting the Federal Government any time soon, as in my lifetime.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I hve a lot of money in saving account in my present bank. Maybe i should change banks? There may be a run on this bank with people changing banks.
Park your savings in silver.

Anyone with interest in a homesteading forum has got plenty good enough places to hide their money and be their own bank.

Once you’re sure you have enough food and water, buy ammo. Once you’re sure you have enough food, water and ammo, buy money- the real stuff, not dollars, euros, lira or skerides- actual money; gold and silver.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
There are business people around here, sawmill, and a contractor who trade in gold and silver now. The more that inflation rises, and more paper money is required for a purchase, your ounce of silver will trade for more goods or services. For the people who say you can't eat gold or silver, try eating a debit card. There has never been a time since people began to trade with each other that a silver coin wouldn't buy food and clothes.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,911 Posts
In effect, you did change to a bigger bank.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Just as an intellectual game that I have been the devil's advocate for some time at amongst us that used to be conspiracy theorist that turned out to be not, those pieces of paper shoved under your pillows and buried in the backyard will still be something other than bad toilet paper if all the banks fold?

Don't put all your money in the bank. Don't keep all your assets in paper of any sorts. But, if you have over $50k in pieces of paper in your personal possession because you think it is safe from the government or banks folding up, it may be a good idea to think that through further.

If you want to stash away real money, stack other things than federal reserve notes like gold, silver, ammunition, liquor, wire or knowledge and courage.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I like silver...If you need to buy eggs from a neighbor and give him a gold Krugerrand, he probably can't make change, so you'll be walking home with 1000 dz eggs.
Either way, fractionals are good to have.

Historically, the gold to silver value ratio was around 10:1. That actually makes sense as mining one ounce of gold yields about eight ounces of silver. Right now, the value ratio is 78:1. What makes that even weirder is that silver has real industrial demand that gold largely does not. If there is an imbalance to the intrinsic demand, it should favor silver, not the other way around.

So, if we were to assume that paper-gold hasn’t been manipulated like paper-silver (which is has been, this is just for example’s sake), then silver should be about $175/Toz, meaning a dozen eggs is going to cost you a small fractional if you can’t make change.

Considering that COMEX has been tamping both silver AND gold for decades, who knows how high the value of an ounce of gold actually is… with silver being 1/10 of that? The real value of an ounce of silver could be $1,000 or more.

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
The OP doesn't strike me as the type to set up automatic payments, but make sure and check behind them any time that there is some kind of system downage. If your automatic payment hits when the system is down, it doesn't go through. This could mean anything from losing your netflix to missing a mortgage payment depending on what you've got set up.

Reactions: Danaus29

·
Registered
337 Posts
^ Plus silver has the added bonus of killing werewolves.

I kid, but this is a good thread. A good friend instead of saving a wad of cash has started investing. I don't think I could do that.
copper pennies is worth 3 cents in cash if melted down that is not legal yet and nickles are just at 5 cents last i look good to horde there are sorters for the pennies to be divided from the full copper to the copper plated tin ones.. good web site here .. i trust it

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I like silver...If you need to buy eggs from a neighbor and give him a gold Krugerrand, he probably can't make change, so you'll be walking home with 1000 dz eggs.
Gold isn't for buying bread, eggs, or a single meal. It's for buying land, weapons, or a years worth of firewood or corn. Silver and copper were for every day stuff. As far as making change, that's why they had pieces of eight.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts