Banding

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Farmgirl2005, May 2, 2005.

1. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

I have banded my goats on saturday as half of you know, and have felt awful. But my question is this, do they completely fall off, or do they just die. The person told me said that they sometiimes do both.
    But please tell me, your input
    Thanks Lyn

2. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

It doesn't hurt them so don't feel bad. I know they scream alot but I always felt really bad about dehorning more than banding. Anyway it has been my experience that they just disappear (shrink up to nothing). I use to sell mine as pets (pygmy goats) so all the little boys were banded.

3. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

In a couple of weeks you'll notice that it has just dried up. It will slough off by itself. We band both sheep and goats and none of them have ever made a fuss about it--like they didn't even notice. Sure makes it easier to deal with.

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Within several days you should notice the sac getting grey from the blood supply being cut off. Then it will start to shrivel and can take a few weeks or more to finally drop off. I hate banding more than disbudding because the boys often are so uncomfortable at first and I hate to see that. But they do get back to their old selves usually by the next day or so at the latest.

5. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Yup, they'll fall off when they're completely dried out. Don't feel too badly about it - I agree with moonspinner that disbudding is more traumatic for the goats. Time for me to band my kids too - five kids this year, all boys! :bash:

6. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

They got a shot today, and they were perfect.
    Thanks for the advise Lyn