banding

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by countrygurl, Dec 20, 2004.

1. countrygurl

countrygurl Well-Known Member

can i band a weanling are do you have to cut the boar pigglets

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

They have to be cut. Their sack is not big enough to band.

Make sure it is done right or you will have problems.
    This should have been done the first week or second week.

3. countrygurl

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I assume these pigs are for the freezer rather than as pets? If so, there is really no need to castrate them. It is an outmoded idea although I realise that many still stick with the old ways. Most pigs destined for the freezer are killed at between 5 and 8 months of age and have never "worked" which means that they are not mature and their meat is not tainted. It is now recognised that castrating is stressful and knocks the piglet back in terms of growing.

However, if this is what you want to do, as has been mentioned it should be done within a week of birth and whoever does the job should know what they're doing.

I haven't castrated male pigs taken through to porkers for over 20 years and have yet to have a complaint.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. Mulefoot

Mulefoot Active Member

When castrating a boar pig it is a good idea to use a curved scalpel blade, that helps to make the process go a bit faster. Also cut fairly low on the pig because it will help with drainage of the wound. Make sure that the scalpel blade has had an antibacterial treatment. I dip the blade into a chlorhexidine solution to disinfect it before each cut. After the pig is castrated make sure that it has a clean dry area to recover in. That will lessen the chances of infection.

6. countrygurl

thanks for info yes they will be sold for freezer

thanks

7. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

A couple months back, I went and bought a Boar piglet. The folks that raised them were getting up there in years and "Ma" was having a hard time helping like she'd used to. They had 3 or 4 pens that still needed to be "cut". I knew I wanted to learn how to cut them so, I dressed for the occassion and offered to help hold while "Pa" farmer cut. It took some convincing to get them to actually let me help. They wanted to just show me one how it was done but, I really did want to help in exchange for their kindness and my learning. So, in less than 30", we'd castrated all of his pens and I'd learned how to cut. He made me cut the very last one myself!! I was SO afraid I was going to kill his little piglet but, it went very well.

It's actually very, very easy. Have someone show you how if you ever get the opportunity.

Since then, I've cut all of my buck goat kids too. I will never, ever band another goat again. Cutting is SO much more human and quick. Also, if you're holding "them" in your hands...you know they'll never work either!! :eek: How many times have you kinda wondered whether or not you'd gotten everything south of the band and hoped for the best?! :D

8. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

Hey Ronnie-
    What do you define as a "porker"? What age/size/ any other criteria? I hope you don't mind me asking- I'm a piggy-newbie.

Tim

9. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I agree with LuckyGRanch. I once banded a holstein calf and one testicle slipped back above the band and I didn't notice. I wound up with a sterile holstein bull. Now, everything gets the scalpel.

I also agree that it's more humane. Put one of those bands on your finger and leave it for a few seconds and you'll see what I mean.