Banding

Discussion in 'Goats' started by PTFarmer, Jan 5, 2004.

1. PTFarmer

PTFarmer Guest

When is the best time to band the little bucklings ?

2. Kasidy

Kasidy Well-Known Member

I will bet you get a wide range of anwers to this post.
    Because I sell mine when they are very young I always band them when they are about 2 or 3 days old. I did the same even when I kept one to be a companion to a buckling. And he grew just fine with no problems. But I know other people have reasons for waiting longer.

3. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

I think it just depends on your schedule. I know of some that band when they wean the kids. Others that band around a month old or so. Sorry, that I could have been more helpful on the subject.

4. Meadowwood

Meadowwood Active Member

I guess the key to banding is making sure the testicles have descended into the scrotum. If they are not descended and you band them, then they will still be bucks and you may get some surprises you didn't expect. For this reason, we wait until the little guys are about a month old. I know others who wait until much later. If I have a couple that look like I may want to keep for breeding stock, I will wait for a couple months, but I can usually tell by 3 months how they are growing and have a feel for temperment, stature etc.

Darlene

5. mamabeart00

mamabeart00 Suburban Homesteader

there are two of my little guys who would be best if they were banded, I have seen banding supplies in the local feed store for cattle but nothing that looked small enough for them. where can i find the right stuff for them

Tammy C.

6. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I have really found no difference in what age you do it. I have done it early & I have done it when they are older. As long as you can fit the testicles through the band & make sure you have both of them in it, it will work. They should be current on their CD/T if older & I give a tetanus antitoxin if they are young & haven't gotten the CD/T yet.
    The cattle banders you see in the feedstore are what you need. They usually have green bands with them. That is what I use & have never had a problem. I have never seen one made just for goats.

7. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I am by no means any authority I can only tell you what I do and why.

I band when they are weaned. I like to wait until their uniary tract has developed and matured. However, if I band it, it is food! which means they won't live past a year old.

If you are selling for pets...I'd do some serious research on uniary calculi and perhaps wait until they are older.

8. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Tammy,

buy the elastrator tool and bands. These are used for docking sheep tails, and banding kids. I also use these to band horns. The tool is about $15.00 and the bands (in my feed store) can be purchased one at a time or a whole package. About $0.10 cents each.

Ask at your local feed or livestock store.

9. mamabeart00

mamabeart00 Suburban Homesteader

Thank you so much. You guys are a great help ;)

10. Well I see there is no more agreement on this subject here than in any other sorces I have. I raise nigerian dwarfs as pets and show animals. My own I have banded 10 days prior to weaning since I had my first goats born here years ago. That has worked well for me. Recently I adopted a young buckling who is unregistared. I planned to band him and keep him as company for my breeding buck when he is off duty. The little guy was 10 weeks old and I sought to find if he was still within the age range for banding. I got a range of answers from 3 days old no later than 3weeks to never ever before 8 weeks for risk of urinary problems to banding is animal cruelty and should be outlawed(sheesh). I am now so confused I am questioning the practices I've used on bucklings born and raised on farm.
    So...I called our farm vet. He says he'd be more unhappy about it than a 6wk old buckling but fine being banded. My guess is if I called another vet I'd get another answer. We also raise cattle there is a standard practice based on weight under 250lbs. for them. It would be nice if someone would do a scientific study to set a standard for goats based on health considerations.

11. Mamawolf

Mamawolf New Member

I have a baby that turned 1 month old last friday and I have wondered about castrating him. Some of the locals tell me to use rubberbands and do it before he is 3 weeks old! Well, that is not an option now. He is a Beautiful red Boer/Nubian and I keep thinking he will make a great stud for someone. But if I can't sell him before he is old enough to breed I will have a problem because I don't want interbreeding with his sisters or mother.

He is the first male born to us so I am in a quandry if he doesn't sell this July! Anyone near me in NE Alabama need a Buck :eek: !

12. 1farmgirl

1farmgirl Well-Known Member

I used to band mine when they were a week or less. This time, I decided to wait until they were 3 months (read that it would help develop their urinary tract). Other than two days of acting uncomfortable, I've had no other trouble so far. Now they (the sac) are starting to shrink. Sure made the testicles easier to check to make sure they were in the band. The bucks seemed to grow off well too. But that has just been my experience.

Kathy

13. Well i raise boer goats and pygmys and i band at all different ages. Actually to be honest as long as i can still get the band on them im good to go. Everyone has different opinions and beliefs in how it should be but basically..banding only serves as one purpose and it will work no matter the age of the animal.

14. Mamawolf

Mamawolf New Member

I have learned with my own goats and also through researching any goat book I could get my hands on before I bought them, that goats do NOT do well if they get stressed. Once they are sick, especially young ones, they have a really hard time recovering.

I decided to raise my goats pretty much as ferel goats for this reason. I figured if they take care of themselves and live healthy lives in the wild on browse and that is what they were created to consume, then they would do fine that way in my 7 acrea enclosed area. We do feed the occasional treat(apples, celery) to keep them tame enough to mess with.....actually my two billys think I am their mama :eek: . They follow me around like puppies because I used to go out and pull huneysukle out of the trees for them when they were babies!

I have had to doctor one of them because he jammed his leg onto a nail sticking out of a board, I also doctored them when they got loose(first got them) and dogs got after them, lost one to calcified urinary tract(he got into a tub of molasses treat I was giving my horses to fatten them up and it was too rich for him)he died after surgery, and we lost the little girl a few months ago because she got dehydrated and we had to have her put down because she couldn't get better.

The only neutered male I have had, I bought that way and then sold him to a friend.....he is happy and healthy.....my point being, it terrifies me to think of doing something to them that will cause pain and possible health problems.....so I want to know best way to do it, best time to do it and length of time to recover.

I work full time and goat farm in my free time, so ferrel works great for me. They are never stalled or milked but they come a running when they see me :)

15. 1farmgirl

Do you own cats or dogs? Do you have them spayed? If this will make you feel better, you are doing this for your herd's sake. Survival of the fittest and all that. Your wild herd-horses, etc. won't have a lot of males running around with them, they don't need it. They usually fight to the death or very serious hurt and the best 'man' wins the herd rights. You can think of it as saving a lot of hurt with one little hurt. And possibly saving you or your family. Have you ever been around a full-grown (2-3yr+) buck in rut? Especially one with horns? They can turn pretty nasty- even the nice ones that are usually pretty good. I banded my 3 month olds, because I had 1 that was starting to act macho-to me and to my smaller babies. And these have been handled extensively since birth. Now everyone gets along a lot better.

Now my goats serve a purpose here. As much as I love my goats, they must earn their keep. I keep them fed and they keep me in milk. I share a little of the milk and everyone is happy with my reasons for 'needing' goats :haha:

Kathy

16. Mamawolf

Mamawolf New Member

Yep, own cats and dogs and all but one was always neutered. My wolf-dog has never been because he has severe allergies and I worried about him going under anesthesia. No, I don't worry about babies with him. He is a house dog and never off lead when away from our home. He is 11 now and a very old man :) .

I never had a problem with neutering till I saw how fragile goats were when things go wrong. I planned on doing it myself as I'm not quesy when it comes to that sort of thing......had to dig dead meat out of a huge lesion on the back of one of my horses for several weeks where another had bitten her for it to heal properly! Everyone around me gagged at the thought and would not help!

I just can't get a good answer on when is the right time and procedure to neuter the boys safely :confused:

Yes I have been around a 2-3 and 4 yr old buck in rut. Two of them as a matter of fact. I have two bucks. They are brothers and grew up together. They are now 4 years old. One is close to 6 feet tall on his hind legs with the other not much shorter. The head buck is around 250 lbs (nubian) with his brother slightly smaller. The larger has huge horns that go straight back over his head with a slight curl on the end. The other has horns that look more like a mountain goat completely curling twice out to the sides of his head. They carried on all the time butting each other for a couple years but have now settled down to only occasional butting. They got their pecking order straightened out with the larger being the lead. He is the father of all my babies...obvious because of their coloring! I told my husband when we bought them at 5 months old that Moe(the larger) would be head buck when they grew up just because of the way he acted ;) .

I have never been harmed by my boys, but then they know I won't hesitate to knock them for a loop if they get rough with me :) . Closest they got once was when I was pulling honeysuckle from a tree and Moe got overzealous and greedy and leaned into me, knocking me off balance. I fell down and he gave me the funniest look, came up sniffing me as I got up like he was making sure I was ok!

These two bucks, my two nannies and the doe and buckling all lay down scrunched together when it is pretty weather. When one decides to get up and go browse the rest, one at a time get up and follow in single file....really kewl watching them.

I won't band if I have no problems selling them, I just don't want to worry about inbreeding if I have to keep any of the baby males. So I really need to learn best way and time to castrate.

17. Band them when you can get 2 testicles in the band. It can be at a couple days old to weeks old.

18. 1farmgirl

I agree with unregistered. I don't think there is any set age. Kathy

19. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

In the past, we have banded when we disbud. Now I usually wait until they are a couple of weeks old. We've never seen them act like they were more than slightly uncomfortable for the first day. Next day, they were back to bouncing.

20. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

i'm obviously odd gal here....i've banded and cut. i prefer cutting..it is quicker and less stressful, from my observations, anyway. to me, one cut and two pulls, over in 15 seconds or less w/some furasone (furall) sprayed on it immediately is less stressful for them than having a rubberband put on for the feeling to slowly ebb away over a few hrs or days. the ones i banded, laid around for several hrs to the next day. the ones i cut are up and running and playing in 30 min or less. never have had any infections or anyting with either method. age, anywhere from a week to 3-4 months old.