Banding Tail

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Leslie, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Hi,

After banding the tail of a ewe lamb she began to hop in a circle dragging a leg. We removed the band and she was instantly "cured". Any ideas???? Should we try again or go with another method. As is always the case, she is my favorite.

Thanks,
    Leslie

2. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Until the tail goes numb from the circulation being cut off, it is uncomfortable. The lamb was probably reacting to the discomfort. It is ok to band her again. In an hour or so she will be OK.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I agree and even though it seems pretty traumatic it is usually over in less than 10 minutes of discomfort. Less than a trip to the dentist for you.

4. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

I think I've only ever seen 1 lamb that didn't freak out. So far I have always banded. But last year at the Wisconsin Sheep & Wool Festival's dog trial, my 8-Ball friend gave me an emasculator for helping with his trial. While at the auction, he handed it to me in front of a bunch of people we didn't even know. I said wow thanks, and a guy sitting there watching everything take place said; "That is a nice friend you have there, he even gave you the better of the two." I agreed and told everyone that "I can think of no better way to repay my friend then coming back next spring and stand out in his field and emasculate with him. Just imagine two grown men standing in the field emasculating together." Needless to say, my friends face got extremely red and everyone started laughing. (What do I care, I don't know these people.... and besides, there're from Wisconsin...!)

5. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Thanks,

We'll try again.

Leslie

6. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

Best thing to do is just band them, then walk away and don't watch them afterwards.l

7. junejoe

junejoe New Member

I have one we banded the tail on Monday. 4 days ago. The tail below the band is swolen and puss looking. What should I do? She is the smallest lamb we have, any ideas?
    All the others we banded seem ok.

8. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I would get some Antibiotics from the Vet, and ask him/her how much to give.
    Can also spray Furall spray, or use Dr Naylor's Blu kote on the area of the tail affected.

Just thought of another possible reason.
    Do you have fly's yet this season? If you do, you might want to take a good look for fly strike.

9. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'd dock (with a lidocane injection) and cauterize the tail ASAP and treat with PenG, maybe ask about a tetnus antibody. Blood is making it past that band so the dead/dying tissue must be cut off from the body now!