Banding site red

Discussion in 'Goats' started by christij, Jun 17, 2006.

1. christij

christij Well-Known Member

The two boys I bought were banded for me prior to purchase and it's been about a month. I noticed today while picking them up after they escaped out the gate on me! :nono: That Huck's area between the band and his belly was red wet and irritated. Tom's was dry with no wetness.

Is Huck's normal -- should I put anything on it? Give him anything? Probios? An antibotic... ? :shrug:

Christie

2. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

Sometimes the area gets kinda goey-scabby before it falls off-depending on age, i would think they would be about ready too fall off after a month. I would make sure it didn't look infected-swollen-hot-or flystruck-put some antibiotic salve-or spray w/iodine-take his temp, if in doubt of infection or not-any question on it and i would give an antibiotic shot. I have poured peroxide on, then sprayed iodine on any i thought looked raw. :rolleyes:

3. mammawof3

They DID have a tetnus shot, didn't they?

4. christij

They said they gave a CD/T prior to purchase but never gave me dates or if the series was completed. I have emailed since purchase and never got a response. I plan on giving another shot in the fall. They were about 2 1/2 months old when I picked them up. I have some fungasian on hand -- will that work? I need to p/u some idonie! What antibotic would you reccomend?

5. mammawof3

With them being 2 1/2 mons. when bought =they should of had the series completed. (our does get it 4 weeks be-4 kidding-the kids get it when dis-budded then a month later)-if in doubt, i don't think it would hurt to give them one-i don't know what "fungasion" is, but if it is a "triple-antibiotic" like "neosporin-that will be fine-i really think iodine is probably better because of the "drying" qualities. I would pour peroxide on first though. I would not give antibiotic shot unless it looks infected-not a good idea too over use antibiotics-if so, i woulg give a penicillian shot for a few days. The main concern w/banding IS tetnus-and flystrike-they really should be about to fall off-then you may see a small "hole" at the site-just spray w/iodine (tamed iodine-not the strong stuff that you dip cords with) for a few days. I think he is probably fine. :rolleyes:

6. christij

Thanks for all the advice. I was out checking on him and I see flesh but there is no pus or anything sticking to it. I just cleaned out their stall really good too. He's acting like his onrey ole self -- trying to chew on my hair as I trimmed Tom's hooves! I will peroxide it tonight -- I decided against using fungasian -- it's for skin treatments but I don't for comfortable using it on this.

What is "flystrike"?

7. mammawof3

Where flies will lay their eggs on the raw flesh and you get maggots! Nasty to have to deal with! :flame:

8. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like he definitely needs to have that area dried up. Wonder Dust always helps for me and a topical antibiotic wouldn't hurt.

9. christij

That's what I thought you meant my husband says he prefers that terms versus the description!

I boiled it out yesterday and put idonie on it. He seems to be acting fine other then this heat we are having has them laying around more than usual.