banding or burdizzo??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by marvella, Sep 6, 2005.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i have a 4 month old buckling that hasn't been banded yet, for a number or reasons. he may now be too big to band, which is what i usually do. the vet came out and use the burdizzo on my buck goat, and it was pretty cool- no fuss, no muss. well, the buck thought he was dying there for a few minutes, but he got over it.

if the buckling IS too big for banding, is the burdizzo something i can pick up at the co-op and use myself? or do i have to get the vet out to do it??

2. billygoatridge

billygoatridge Well-Known Member

I've not seen the burdizzos in stores around here, but you can order them from Jeffers or some of the other goat/sheep supply catelogs. The burdizzo is what we have always used.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

4. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

You will have to use the burdizzo. Your buck is too old for banding. You need the one that is made for 'sheep' to use on goats. The ones made for calves or bulls are much too large.

You will need a strong helper that is not squeemish at all. You have to be able to 'feel the cords' above the testicles one each side. You must do one side, or one cord at a time. The cords are crushed with the burdizzo and can only be done one at a time. You can actually 'hear' them crush, as they make a very unique sound when they go.

It is hard for a first timer to do this operation correctly. Sometimes the best way to do this is to have a vet do it, or another well experienced goat or sheep person to do this.

The urinary tract will not grow any larger once the goats have been castrated. You will need to make sure that they get a proper diet in order to avoid 'urinary calculi'.

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

t-farm- i band all the bucklings at 4 months, instead of at birth, just so their urinary tract has time to develop and avoid uc. they're just scrub goats, nubian x nigerian, so on the small side. no problems using the bands, so far. but this guy seems to particularly well endowed.

looks like i may have to call the vet. life just got in the way, and the job got away from me.

thanks all!!!!

6. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

There is a Callicrate bander http://www.nobull.net/bander/SmartBander.html made here in KS that can be used on larger animals. It's made for cattle but I've used it for larger ram-lambs before. If you're interested you might see if you can find a feedyard or cattle rancher that will let you borrow one if you can, otherwise they're fairly costly. If you have an animal health supply dist. near you they might have one they'll loan.