Banding Issues

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I have 2 bucks that I had banded just before I got really sick for 2 months. The bucks were about 3-4 months old at the time. The problem is that when I look at them now, they still have shriveled up sacks attached! no redness or infection....I washed with betadine for about 2 weeks, but the things haven't come off yet. Aren't they suppsed to? I've never had bucks banded before and this was done by my vet, whom I do trust to do a decent job, but now I am wondering. How long before the sacks should drop off? The boys aren't really showing alot of hormone behavior nor do they stink and my does are all in heat. Any thoughts?

2. Terre d'Esprit

Terre d'Esprit Boer-ing Mom

My 2 wethers were banded at about about 3-4 months old, and they didn't come off for at least 2 months, maybe even longer. Just before they fell off, they started to bleed the tiniest bit at the site of the band, and I put betadine on it, and they were fine. One fell off while I was traveling for work for a few days, and when i returned it was completely healed.

I was told they would fall off in a few weeks, but maybe in some goats it takes longer. My boys are boers.

Good luck!

T

3. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

I was surprised to that some take a long while to fall off.. they will in time.
    Liz