banding issue

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lscheopner, Jul 10, 2006.

1. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

We banded 2 of our bucklings several months ago. Everything went fine. A couple days ago I noticed one of our little wethers trying to mount the other one. Checked him and he still has a testicle! Thought we got them but guess not. Can we just cut him and casterate or now what? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Laina

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

He does not have a bag hanging down any more does he ?
    And are you sure he still has a testicle there, or it he just swollen ?

bumpus

3. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

No the bag is gone and it is definitly a testicle. We were having a hard time trying to get both testicles on this guy because sometimes only one was down.

4. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

Ischeopner: Since there's no scrotum for the testicle to be confined in, it will be very difficult to castrate him unless you've had lots of experience in that sort of thing. The testicle is probably way up 'there'. If I were you, I'd bite the bullet and take him to the vet for him/her to do the surgery. The next time you use a banding technique, after the band is on, feel the bag to make sure BOTH testicles are in there. We had to do our little buckling twice, as after the first band was put on, we felt it and realized one slippery lil' devil slid back 'home'. So we had to cut the band off and do it over again. Poor lil' guy was quite traumatized, but I think I was worse, as I was the one holding him in my lap. He forgot all about it in about 1/2 hour.
    - Kathy

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

the trick is not letting the band off the plyers untill you are sure, and then dont loosen the plyers just roll the band off while everything is still tight, that way there is no slippage and you can be sure you got them both with out redoing,

what i would do in your situation is feel how close to the skin the retained testical is, if it is very close you MIGHT be able to make a small insision and pull it out,

he is going to Butcher anyway right? there is a 99.9% chance that he is steril anyway so he wont be breeding anyone just playing like it, you could just fatten him up like he is and send him off to get processed when he is just right

6. cjg24

cjg24 Cindy

I had a male goat I banded. He did not have testes that you could see, but he started exibiting male behavior. So, I had him butchered young before he got smelling too bad. His meat was fine. I always thought he must have had a teste that slipped up inside when I banded him. I am more careful now and wait a little longer to band them so am sure the testes have desended.

7. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

We waited on this guy until he was 3 months old because the one testicle wouldn't drop. We are planning on butchering him anyway. He is out with my does and am concerned he might breed one. It is right next to the skin. Think we will leave it and hope he is not fertile. He is also alot smaller than our does so I really don't think he will get them bred anyway. The nice thing with casterating is you know you got both!