banding horns?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jcran, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I bought a nice unrelated 88% boer doe kid when I brought my does to be bred a few weeks back. I will pick her up when I pick up my hopefully pregnant ladies...my does are not horned and all my babies are disbudded at about 1 week old. However, this doeling is not disbudded and was already 2 months old when I bought her. She will be about 4 months old when I pick her up. Has anyone out there dehorned a goat? I read about "banding" the base of the horn and think I'd like to go this route. I don't want to keep her horned because of possible injuries to my 6 year old daughter (a swinging head would be right at her head level) and the inequality at feeding time with the other does.

2. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

I had to dehorn a 9 month old Billy goat last year. I had just bought him, and he was uh..let's just say he was a "handful" We took him to the vet to have him dehorned. It was pretty gruesome to watch, but he recovered pretty well by the next day. The vet basically cut them off at the base of the skull after a tranquilzer and a local.
    It has really changed his attitude, and he is a lot easier to handle. I would not however recomend this way if you can avoid it. Disbudding is the way to go for sure. Since she is 4 months old, it may not be quite so hard on her either.

Laura

3. Lancelotacres

Lancelotacres Well-Known Member

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I have horned goats. I don't notice any problem with horns myself, and wouldn't hesitate to let a young kid in with my does, or my bucks for that matter. out of 6, only one is dehorned but that wasn't my choice. I don't reccomend mixing horned/dehorned does because the dehorned does will get beat up by the horned does. :( I have one dehorned doe who is very nice but gets excluded alot b/c she isn't "allowed" near the horned doe and her horned kids. I have not had an injury from the horns, or had any problem besides that they are all stupid and stick thier heads through the fence and get stuck. But now we have new and better fencing so it isn't a problem any more :)