banding gone wrong??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cowpatty, Apr 2, 2005.

1. cowpatty

cowpatty New Member

We have a goat at our farm that belongs to a neighbors kid. It's a 4H project. When they got the goat, it had been banded by the people it was purchased from. So, now it's a whether. However, we put a small nanny goat in the pen with it today, and it is continually riding her.

Is this normal behavior for a whether, or is there a possibility that one of its' testicles was missed when banded? It's so bad that she won't come out of her little house to eat unless we get her out of the house and stand guard.

How can you tell if one was missed? If the banding didn't get both the testicles is there anything that can be done to him now? The scrotum is already gone.

Or is this a normal "I want to be the leader" kind of thing??

2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

It is normal instinct.The babies do this as play at a few days old.If you can feel the testical then I would say different and if the penis is extended then something has to be done.I would watch to see,other wise he will grow out of this,as his body doesnt make testoserone.

3. cowpatty

cowpatty New Member

Thanks for the response. We went to the barn this morning and checked the whether. There is what appears to be a testicle or a knot above where the scrotum was located. It is about the size of a walnut. We watched the whether for a bit and his penis was coming out about 2 inches.....so now what do we do?

Since the scrotum is already gone, banding again using the skin around the stomach isn't an option, is it? Can he be clamped? Or can he be cut?

I think the owners need to call the lady they got the goat from and have them get this problem resolved - since they were the ones that banded the fellow incorrectly - what do you think?

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

take them to a vet, and have it checked. he might have t ocut now to finish the job. minor thing, for him to do. just take the goat very soon. as the older it gets the harder this will be to do. will cost about 6 bucks.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

:haha: :haha:

A local vet charged my neighbor $40 to castrate a buckling at two weeks old. Ask the cost!

Meg

6. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

I wish it were that price in California Debi, we pay $48.00 just to walk in the office!

7. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Since the scrotum is gone and has healed over this may be a little more complicated than just cutting him. Normally when you cut you cut the end of the sack off pop the testes out cut them off and let them go. It heals up nicely. But in this case there is no scrotum and in order to get to the testes when the vet cuts he won't be cutting the sack and it will probably require sutures. This procedure will probably also require the goat to be anesthesized so make sure your vet is aware that goats do not tolerate anesthesia very well. Keeping him gassed lightly and working quickly will ensure he will wake up. I too would contact the owner you got him from and inquire about this. If the original owner isn't willing to pay the vet bill, he may be willing to take the goat back and give you your money back that you can put toward a true wether.

8. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

I wish it were that price in California Debi, we pay $48.00 just to walk in the office!

9. cowpatty

cowpatty New Member

The seller came out, checked the goat and agreed to get the problem corrected!! Wonderful lady.

She contacted the vet, explained that this is a 4H project, and the vet is going to do it for only $20.....which sounds fantastic.

Thanks for all the input with this!!