banding calf: how much tet-antitox?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by mary,tx, Jan 7, 2005.

1. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

We're thinking of banding the calf in the next few days, and I'm fuzzy on how much tetanus antitoxin to give him. Can anyone give me the dosage?
    Also, at what age do you usually band? This is a jersey calf, about one month old.
    thanks,
    mary

2. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

I band my holstein bulls at about 4 weeks, and I dont give any meds.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Same here, we band out herefords at various ages (depends on their testicles) and never give anything. Never had any problems, and anyone else I know doesn't do that. I guess its a personal prefrence..

Jeff

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Ditto. All my calves, irrespective of breed, are rung at less than a month old and are never given anything. Never had a problem. My only criteria is that I don't do it when they're wet as the ring sitting on the skin of a wet, warm scrotum has the possibility to infect.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. mary,tx

I'm glad that y'all have had success without tetanus antitox, but am not willing to take the risk myself. Does anyone else know the dosage?
    thanks,
    mary

6. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Mary,
    I know that farming criteria varies between countries but I've never heard of people giving tetanus anti-toxin as the disease is so rare in cattle.
    My research ends up by saying: "There are a toxoid and anti-toxin available for Tetanus, but their use in cattle is probably not warranted." Different story for sheep.

I think your safest bet would be to ring your vets and ask what the correct doseage is for the size animal your dealing with.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

7. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

We don't give them anything when their banded either, and also don't I don't know of anyone else who does.
    Seems strange to ask for advice, and then snubb the offers.

8. mary,tx

Well, I wasn't meaning to snub anyone, just wanted the dosage. Never to mind, I got it from the gal at the feed store. Here in Texas, it is not uncommon to be cautious of tetanus.
    mary

9. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

sorry, didn't notice where you were from, tetanus just isn't often found around here.