Banding a cat??

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by kath2003, Mar 26, 2006.

1. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

I don't want to be jumped all over for asking this, its just a question, is there any reason a cat cannot be banded in the same manner as a day old goat buckling??

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

3. kath2003

LOL, I hear that!!!

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

A very good reason - it doesn't work and is a cruel and painful procedure for the cat. Unlike a kid or lamb, the testicles don't hang away from the body so even if you were able to get a ring around them, it would finally create a huge lesion and still not have done the job.

A couple of months ago there was a photo in our local paper of a beautiful black and white tom that some cretin had done this to. His back end was a huge infected mess. He did survive and the SPCA successfully prosecuted his owner.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

Oregon Julie likes this.
  5. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

That is one job I would not like to have, holding a cat and putting a band on it.

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A cat can also bend around enough to chew on the band etc. causing damage to its self.

Wendy, Oregon Julie and farmerDale like this.
  7. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I cannot imagine the pain that would bring to a cat!

8. kath2003

All excellent reasons, thank you. Was just wondering.

9. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

It can be done succesfully and humanely. It should be done when the cat is young- a kitten. Waiting until it is a full fledged tom is not a good idea. Th egreen lamb or goat bands are entirely too large for a cat...way too large. Use a very small, very tight rubber band such as the type people with braces (dental braces) use. It should be wound more than once, and make certain that you are not banding the penis as well!!!!

Of course, if you can afford it at all, paying to have it done by a vet is preferable.

Claws and teeth: wind him up in a towel or cram his front end into a sleeve or something. You DO need help to do it.

10. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Banding can work without all the above problems. That said it can also not work. If you have an old time farmer or amish around they may cut them for you. They do it so fast it is unreal. And before I get jumped on we have cut little boys for many of years without concern for there pain.

Patty

11. kath2003

Hi Patty, the kitten you gave us is just great!! He has some serious nerological problems,lol, but my husband just loves him. He keeps us entertained for hours, lol. Thats part of the reason I was asking about the banding, my vet says he could die under the anestesia because of his problems. He is peeing all over the house and hubby says he will never get rid of him. I think he thinks the other cat we have, who is neutered, is a girl, and we are trying to find him a home because of my daughters allergies, two indoor cats is just to much! Well, anyway,anyone want a Turkish Van cat?????

12. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Well I am glad he is doing well. Find an amish man or old farmer they will get the job done.

13. farmgirl1978

farmgirl1978 New Member

After reading this thread, I castrated my cat yesterday by myself. He was a stray that I took in a month ago and fattened him up. He weighs 7 lbs, so I gave him 5 cc's of acepromazine that I got from my vet. I gave it to him under the skin in his neck with a 22 gauge needle and 10 cc syringe. After 10 minutes he was really drowsy and tired. I wrapped him up in an old coat with his hind end and back legs sticking out and then sat on him (not putting all my weight down, of course). Then I cut one sac with a sharp razor blade like used for castrating livestock, just like you do pigs. Then I squeezed and popped the testicle out and then pulled it out, cut the other sack and pulled that testicle out and then sprayed it with iodine. He urinated everywhere as I was cutting the 2nd one, but other than that it was pretty uneventful. There was hardly any blood. After that he slept for about 10 minutes while I monitored his breathing (watching his chest rise and fall.) Then he got up and moved to his cat bed and slept there for the rest of the night. This morning he was still a little groggy, but he was playing with the other cat like he normally does. He hasn't licked it at all, I think because the iodine probably doesn't taste very good. I wanted to post this so other people know what to do in case they don't want to pay $100 or more for a vet to do it. I just used supplies that I already have on the farm.

farmerDale, Sumatra and AngusLover like this.
  14. Farmerjonathan

Farmerjonathan Well-Known Member

We have stuck ours down an old cowboy boot head first of course. Make sure it is a boot you don't use anymore, they'll tear the inside up. Quick, iodine (we use the purple spray) and they are good to go.

15. secuono

secuono Well-Known Member

That's all nice and dandy, farmgirl1978. But you shouldn't ever tell this to anyone not experienced with livestock, certainly not city/suburban folks. Besides that they will try to ostracize you, they will seriously injure or kill the animal. Then they will be prosecuted and jailed for their stupidity. They might even blame you and then the law will come after you.
    Far too many idiots in the world to be mentioning these types of things are even possible w/o a vet!

16. BoldViolet

BoldViolet Well-Known Member Supporter

Contact vets and animal shelters - many places have no/low cost cat neuters and spays.

17. mrs whodunit

mrs whodunit Well-Known Member

Its the way I do all of our male cats no matter how wild.

I wrap the cat in a heavy cotton bath mat and put between my legs while kneeling on the floor and put on the band. With the highly wild cat once I caught him I put him in a small box and stuffed as many rags as possible around him. I then fastened the box shut, cut a whole in the box where I needed to be and banded him.

Never bitten of scratched.

18. AngusLover

AngusLover Well-Known Member

We have always done them on the farm the way you described. Feral cats are a bit tricky so I'm curious about the ace. That is something we always have on hand. I am curious. Was that the vets prescribed amount? A 5cc dose is enough to sedate a horse. A 1/2cc is enough to take the edge off a 60 pound dog. I'm looking forward to knowing :) thanks!

19. farmgirl1978

farmgirl1978 New Member

The vet just said to follow the label on the promace. With the label, it would have been .007 cc's for the 7 lb cat, but it was not nearly enough. The same thing happened when I castrated my horse last year, the labelled amount was not nearly enough.

AngusLover likes this.
  20. AngusLover

AngusLover Well-Known Member

Agree that that is not enough. :) I just would have thought .007 cc's to 5cc would be a huge hike! Lol! May have to give it a go though. Thank! :)