Banding a Buckling

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tduerson, Mar 13, 2005.

1. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

I am getting ready to take my 1 and only Bottle Baby Boer Buckling to be banned by a Vet. i am worried about the pain involved. I am told by Cattle Farmer's that when they banned their calves they dont even flinch. it does not hurt them is what they tell me. For some reason I do not beleive this. The vet tells me that it does not hurt when the actual band is put on, but when the sack finally falls off is when there might be pain. I am thinking about having him give this goat something for the pain. I love this critter. He stays in the house, he sleeps with me and is my side kick all day long. I cant stand to think he will be in pain. I ahve to have something done though, I have 3 does outside and he will eventually be put out with them.

What is anyones advice about the pain. I ahve never been around this or experienced this before.

Also, should i get some pain med from the vet to give him for a few days.

Tina

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have three does why cut him at all??? you might want him for breeding instead.if you wait.and they really do recover from it fast. but you need to watch and make sure he doesn't get snagged on something while the band is on.

3. tduerson

My goats are only pets. I do not want to breed. I took this little guy in so he did not go to the meat market. Otherwise, I would stay with Does and not have this problem.

He will still be in the house after he is banned. I will keep my eyes on him all the time as I do now. He is a rascal, into everything. Tina

4. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

I understand banding goes well for most everyone but the only time I tried it ,( not done by vet but by a neighbor), it was a really very bad experience ,he was quit sick for a while and it didn't fall off. I felt very responsible for torturing him for over 6 weeks, it didn't go at all as it was suppose to. I am not a professional goat owner and mine are all just pets, the next doe had quads and 3 were boys so off to the vet we went and got neutered,( under local pain killer , you can't put a goat to sleep or it may be permanent) it cost 50.00 each, but to me worth every penny not to go through the banding again. Of course I expect your vet knows what he's doing and it will be just fine . I wouldn't have stuck my two cents in except since he's a pet perhaps you could just have him neutered and get it over with quick for him and you.

PS how do you keep him from messing in the house, I have a little doe ( one of the quads ) that would like to come in but I don't know how to cope with her potty times ?

5. tduerson

I have him trained to a Laundry Basket. I put a Puppy Pad in the bottom and he takes care of business. If I have to leave him alone I put a diaper on him. I wrap it around his body and fasten it across his back. This dont catch the poop, but with it being good "Berries" I can easily pick it up. I tried to cut a hole for his tail and put them on like you would a baby, but they would not stay on for me plus with him being a male the daiper at the bottom did not reach where they should.

I am a stay at home and am here all the time. So I am able to give him more attention than someone that worked. I dont think I would have a Bottle Baby in the house if I was not here all the time or had to work.

My big problem with mine is not poop or pee it is all of the white hair he sheds. I can not keep it cleaned up. I washed my sheets on the bed which are Navy Blue today. About an hour after I put the clean sheets back on the bed he jumps up and takes a nap. All around where he laid was covered in white hair. It is a big mess. This was not a problem when I first brought him in so I am hoping that he is just sheding his "Baby" hair and it will soon stop or at least slow down.

Tina

6. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I band my own goats. I used to have sheep and banded my own lambs. I have seen all extremes. One lamb I banded acted like he was unable to walk. He just fell over and wouldn't move at all. He finally got up and I believe once the circulation was cut off and it was numb he was ok. I think there has to be some pain associated with it. Imagine having a rubber band put around your finger so tight that it cuts off the circulation and eventually falls off. Once it is numb though there should be no pain associated with it. You can spray furral spray on it after the band is put in place. All of the goats that I have banded have done just fine. In a few weeks it just falls off, nice slick clean behind left. YOu just have to make SURE that both testicals are down in the sack before the band is put on. DOnt let one slip up. You have to be really careful about sedation and such on goats and sheep.

7. tduerson

I am not thinking about sedation, but something like Dexamethasone for the pain. I feel like he is one of my own kids. I dont know why I am so worried. I had both of my boys circumsized and did not worry about that this much. Am I a bad Mom or what.
    Tina

8. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

DH bands ours, while I hold them. There has never been more than a very brief complaint. I believe deadening would hurt more than the banding. jmo
    Sometimes the little guys walk a little funny the first day, but by day two they are back to bouncing. I have not personally ever seen any ill effects from this procedure. It's very simple. Since you are keeping this guy as a pet, it definitely needs to be done. A buck is not a going to grow up to be a good pet.
    mary

9. popscott

popscott Well-Known Member Supporter

Pygmy's here. I've banded quite a few little guys over the years and can say I have observed most, if not all show some discomfort and go lay down with some stretching on their side, after about 15 minutes. If the band is put on correctly this will last 2-3 hours and then they are up and good to go. Personally, I put them in a isolation stall for
    safety sake for that time.

Don't forget the Tetnus shots before. (or the CD/T shots)

Guys ask yourselves (or ladies ask the man in your life).....
    Burdizzo, cutting, or banding, there just "ain't no way" this is NOT going to hurt some when its done.

Thanks,
    Pam and Scott
    http://www.justkiddinfarm.com

10. tduerson

Yeah, I know to make sure he has the Tetnus Shot before.

I agree, I knew there had to be pain with the banding. I think some people are just crazy or just don't care about their animals, but when the Vet even said there was No pain involved I started to second guess myself. I guess you should always go with your gut feeling, that is what they say. I am going to get the Vet to give him something for the pain. I can't stand the thought of him being in pain. He is my "Baby".

Thanks for you opinion
    Tina