Band saw sawmills!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ross, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

May 9, 2002
    I've asked on the old countryside board and appreciated the answers then but I'll ask again as I might just have enough cash coming in soon to buy a mid-sized saw mill. Anyone making some part time money with one? Opininions on brands would again be great! TIA
  2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Zone 7
    Ross, a friend of mine has a homemade saw and it works great and was easy and cheap to build. He uses commercial blades and the other items were scrounged. His saw is basically two auto hubs with mounted tires/wheels and the blade runs on the tires whiich are mounted one above the other. With all bandsaw saws the hindrance is achieving long life with the blades. The bandsaw blades do not tolerate dirt/grit very well and he has to wash the logs if they have been dragged thru mud/dirt. The solution is to devise a means of debarking the logs prior to sawing.

3. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2004
    East-Central Ontario
    There are a bunch around here, the one I've used was my neighbours Board Bandit and I liked the way it worked. Whether or not you can make any money at it depends on how many are in the neighbourhood and how sticky the building inspectors are in your area. The inspectors in the two or three townships around us are fairly lenient in letting you use your own ungraded lumber for non-structural stuff, even in houses, but in other areas they won't even consider it.
  4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

May 11, 2002
    Contact Robert Hardy at He makes a good living using his, but then he has a somewhat unique situation. One neighor is a tree surgeon and brings him the logs he cuts down for free (although Robert does slip hiim some payment). He then cuts them into stringers for a trucking company which hauls rolled steel. Thus, he has a low-cost supply and a steady demand at a very good price.

Robert may take a while to get back to you as they use the computer at the library. They live in SW IN and welcome visitors.

Ken Scharabok
  5. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2004
    This is what I have

$5000 to your door, in 21 boxes. I researched this time and time again. I then took an average of what people said and it came out to about 97% in favor. Mind you, I asked this on a sawmill forum.
    I love it, no issues, just dont expect to do large volumes fast. It is all mechanical and you have to load logs with a peavey or something like it. I certainly wasnt going to spend twice that ono a marginal mill.

Here is my mill: