Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back at the end of July, I got my first real big order of my beaded bracelets and earrings. A woman from the church we go to for our parent group meeting, said she is on the Band Boosters for the local high school. She also has been helping me paint the mural in the special needs children room. She is the director of the special needs children.
Well, I gave her a wholesale price of $3 pair of earrings, and $4 for bracelets. With the first order being a minimum of 12 each. So she ordered them, and it came to $84 dollars. She was going to resell them so that the boosters could make a little money. She called me two days later and said they were a big hit, sold most of the earrings, and one bracelet. But because it was the first night, alot of folks didn't have extra cash on them. So she ordered another 12 earrings, and 6 bracelets, another $70 for me. So that she would have more to sell at the next meeting. But she said everyone raved about them. By the way, I made them in thier school colors.
Well, I am still waiting to be paid, and I am getting a bit restless. She said her husband is pres. of the boosters, and that they usually only cut checks once a month. And that being the 13th, which was yesterday. Last week she said she had submitted the receipt, and was going to try to get me a check tonight.
Is anyone in boosters, and does this happen?? Im getting a little worried that she won't have a check for me. And I am hoping that its just me being nervous.

Other than that, I am thrilled they took off. Since I hope it leads to other orders.

·
Premium Member
33,067 Posts
Our FFA chapter usually only cut checks once a month. It happens with some places that are run by volunteers. Do you have bills for your merchandise, something to show she owes you and the amount? Something that she has signed? And did she tell you beforehand that the boosters made checks out only once a month and you would have to wait to be paid? If the answer to those questions is yes, then your backside should be covered. Keep the info available and accessible just in case you don't get paid next month.

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
I hope you get paid for all the work you've already done. :)

I think it might be financially beneficial to print up a simple little contract with blank spots to fill in when you get orders. With a contract; the customer and you sign to show you both agree to the prices, terms and payment method.
That way if you ever have to go to small claims court, you have proof.

I would also suggest getting an amount to cover your costs-most folks get 50% up front and the other 50% upon delivery or on a 30 day cycle.

I never thought it would be necessary to have contracts or ask for part of the money up front either until a number of years ago when a local well known business person ordered some expensive items from me and kept stalling when it came time to pay, even after he'd had them for a few weeks. :grump: He always had an excuse-until I filed in small claims court. ;) Amazingly, he 'found' the money that very day. :p

Think of it this way, would that booster mom have gotten candy bars for free if that's what they were selling as a fundraiser? I bet she'd have had to paid for them at the wholesale price before they ever left the warehouse. Your time & costs are no different or less real than any other business so don't let your kind heart be used against you. ;)

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Yes, it happens.

These groups are run by volunteers. Sometimes they need to have a certain number present on the finance committee to approve and sign checks.

In the volunteer organization I'm in, there are three specific people who can sign checks and for us to do it - we all have to be there and all of us have to approve/sign.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I'm in our local boosters. We meet once a month and for us to write a check we have to have a motion and vote. We try to do this ahead of time when we know an expense is coming up but occasionally we "vote" to approve spending that we all knew about which has already occurred.

Then two people have to sign the check. There are only three authorized to sign, not just any two people can sign it.

So yes, it can take some time.

Our boosters are very careful to keep painfully detailed records, receipts, everything. We get audited every year. It's part of being a school related non-profit organization. Lots of red tape.

You'll get your money, just be patient -- and having contracts is a great idea, both for your protection and for the boosters' records.

Congrats on the sale :D

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input!
I have slips for both orders, showing what she ordered at what price. I didn't have her sign anything, since I already knew her. And she also had sold three bracelets (non-boosters) at her work and was prompt in paying me for those.

I do like the idea of the contract, and I think that is something I definitly should do. As well as the deposit thing too!

The bracelets and earrings actually probably cost me $20 in supplies. So even at a wholesale price I am making a fairly decent profit. Since now I can whip them out in nothing flat!!!
Its just that I could use the $154 bucks since my house ins. is due!! And we just spent what we had to cover the electric bill.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Well, I can't give you too much input on booster clubs as the one I am on the board of, just started. But, we did just order exhibition leotards for our girls and worked with a vendor who is an individual buisness person like you are. She was more than willing to make what we needed but her policy was payment up front and that is what we did. I paid the bill on my pay pal account and the other mom's paid me. Once the bill was paid, she made the leotards and shipped them out within two days. From the standpoint of being a booster club and needing to buy something, it was not a problem for us to pay up front. I would say that in the future it might be something that you could do... make it your policy and go from there. Any other fundraisers, we have to pay for the goods up front, candy bars or pizza coupons for example. Fundraising is pretty much speculative... or at least it has been in my experience. HTH
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Yep, thats how it works.. at my DD16 high school, the boosters meet once a month..Dh is on the booster committee, and they all have to know about the check.. We usually meet at the beginning of every month, so i dunno how that one works..
Cool you sold them though, more money for you :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.