Homesteading Forum banner

Banana Peppers

7K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Leay 
#1 ·
I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I've got tons of banana peppers coming up but no idea what to do with them. :shrug: I need a good, simple pickling recipe and any other ideas you may have for using them.
Thanks!

#2 ·
SweetSarah said:
I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I've got tons of banana peppers coming up but no idea what to do with them. :shrug: I need a good, simple pickling recipe and any other ideas you may have for using them.
Thanks!
We chop them up, and freeze them in ziploc bags.

#4 ·
Clean out seeds then chop into larger pieces, fold into eggs that are being scrambled...add sausage and tomato, serve with salsa. GREAT breakfast!

Mon

#5 ·
Sounds yummy, frogmammy!

Jolly and James Dilley, what do I do with them after I freeze or dry them? I seriously have no clue what to even put them in. Could I use them in the smae places I'd use a bell pepper?

#6 ·
and I have the perfect answer.

I found a book at the library that has 150 recipes for pickeling. Pickles and Relishes. From apples to zucchini 150 recipes for preserving the harvest by Andrea Chesman. I have always loved store bought bannana pepper from a jar and when I saw the following recipe I knew I had a way to get the same great taste and use up my bumper crop of peppers. And EASY! When I first made these I tasted the left overs that wouldn't quite make a 8 oz jar (I like that size better) and yummy! I put it on a tortilli chip. Yum, yum. This is one of my favorite snacks. Total cost works out to be less than $1.00/pint and I pay $2.50 at the store.

Pickled Peppers (No Salt)

For 8 pints

8 quarts peppers (red, green, yellow banana, cherry and hot)

1/4 cup sugar

8 cups white vinegar

2 cups cold water

16 cloves of garlic

You can see you need 1 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup cold water for each quart of peppers along with a pinch of sugar and 1 clove garlic. This is any easy recipe to adjust to what you have.

From the book: "Wash the peppers. (Remember to wear rubber gloves when washing and handling hot peppers to protect your hands from burning).

If using small whle peppers, cut two small slits in each pepper to allow for complete pickling. When using larger peppers, cut the stems off, take out the seeds and cut in fourths or eights. I like to cut them square so they're the perfect cracker size for hors d'oevuvres.

Combine all the ingredients except the garlic in a kettle; simmer for 15 minutes.

Pack the peppers and 2 garlic cloves into each clean, hot pint jar, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust caps. Process pints 10 minutes in boiling-water-bath canner..."

Good luck. I also freeze some. :walk:
---------------------------------------------
Today at Poplar Hill
Finishing canning green beans
Canning Pickles and Tomatoes
Fretting over everything in the garden
Doing Laundry and trying to clean the room
Big salad for lunch, tacos for dinner
Hosting dd10's friend for a play date

#9 ·
I use essentially the same pickling recipe as Babysteps, but I don't use sugar.

I use banana peppers the same as sweet peppers: in soups, stews, eggs, casseroles... and the dog loves them. ;)

For fresh banana peppers, I like to seed and core them, then stuff with whatever sausage is available (brats, Italian, Polish, whatever). Wrap a piece of bacon around the outside and secure with a toothpick at each end. If I'm bbq'ing, I toss them in the smoker a couple of hours before the main meat is done. On the grill, I put them on the edge (away from the coals) for about 20-30 minutes. So good with a cold one!

Congrats on your peppers doing so well. The past 2 years have been hard for peppers here.

Pony!

#10 ·
Hi, guys. I sure am glad that this question was asked. Someone recently told me that they had eaten hot peppers that had been stuffed with either sausage or hamburger and canned. Anybody ever heard of this? I have looked and looked on the internet and not been able to find a thing. I thought about frying up the burger or sausage and stuffing the peppers and canning them like you do with the tomato sauce. Does anybody have a recipe for stuffed peppers like this or something similar that they might be willing to share?

#11 ·
SweetSarah said:
Sounds yummy, frogmammy!

Jolly and James Dilley, what do I do with them after I freeze or dry them? I seriously have no clue what to even put them in. Could I use them in the smae places I'd use a bell pepper?
Some banana peppers seem to be hotter than others. If they aren't too hot, we tend to use them a lot like bell pepper.

If they're hot, we use them more like a mild jalapeno.

#12 ·
tammy from wv said:
Hi, guys. I sure am glad that this question was asked. Someone recently told me that they had eaten hot peppers that had been stuffed with either sausage or hamburger and canned. Anybody ever heard of this? I have looked and looked on the internet and not been able to find a thing. I thought about frying up the burger or sausage and stuffing the peppers and canning them like you do with the tomato sauce. Does anybody have a recipe for stuffed peppers like this or something similar that they might be willing to share?

The only stuffed pepper recipe I have is with rice and vegetables. I have canned roll-ups before, though, so think that the basic way to do it would be to make your stuffed peppers and process in the pressure canner for the ingredient that requires the longest time.

You may want to go check out the food preservation forum to see if anyone there has a recipe. Lots of canners/preservers there. :)

Pony!

#13 ·
Good eating, yummy :) ..............................

Pickled Sauerkraut Stuffed Banana Peppers

3-lbs mild yellow banana peppers
2-cans sauerkraut, drained well
1-cup sugar
3-cups white vinegar
4-tsp salt, divided
4-tbsp oil, divided
8-tsp pickling spices, divided
8-dashes turmeric, divided

Wash, cut tops off, and core out the peppers
Pack each pepper with as much sauerkraut as possible
Put peppers into into clean jars
Have ready a solution of sugar and vinegar that has been heated to boiling
Place jars in hot pan, or sink, of hot water
In separate pot, heat plain water to boiling and pour over peppers
Let stand a few minutes, then pour off water
Add the 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tbsp oil, 2 tsp pickling spice, and dash turmeric to each jar
Pour sugar and vinegar solution over peppers
Seal jars, and let cool
Let stand at least one week before eating
Best when eaten cold, but unopened jars can be stored at room temp

#14 ·
Have you tried just grilling them? Brush with a little olive oil and you're good to go. Great by themselves or on sandwiches, in salads, scrambled eggs, etc.

#15 ·
I’m with fin29 on this one.

I always chop them up and put them on homemade pizza. Because they shrivel up some while cooking, you can be generous in putting them on. They are so good that way! Our favorite is banana peppers, pepperoni and mushrooms! Sometimes I put onions on part of it as well.

#16 ·
BANANA PEPPER MUSTARD

1qt. Prepared Mustard

1 qt. (4 cups) Cider Vinegar

4 Tbsp. Cornstarch

6 Cup Sugar

40-50 Banana Peppers (Chopped very fine)

"REMOVE SEEDS OR MUSTARD WILL BE VERY HOT"

"Double the Cornstarch to make the mustard a better consistancy, sometimes I use 10 Tbsp even"

Combine Mustard, 3 Cups Vinegar, Sugar, and Peppers in a 4qt.Dutch Oven.
Bring to a Boil over Medium Heat, (stirring almost constantly).
Mix Cornstarch with remaining 1 Cup of Vinegar.
Slowly Stir into Mustard Mixture until thickened.
Remove from Heat and Seal in Hot Jars.

This is great for pretzel dipping!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.