Banana peels, other scraps, pond plants...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by sbfarmer, Jan 30, 2005.

1. sbfarmer

sbfarmer Member

I'm just wondering how much of our kitchen scraps can double as goat treats. Are banana peels bad for goats? Broccoli stems (Brassica...basically the same plant as cabbage, different part). I know they can't take coffee or avocado, but are there other veggies goats shouldn't be eating?

I ask about bananas in particular because our 1-yr old daughter goes through a couple bananas per day, and so we have a lot of peels. We also have sweet potato and potato peels for the same reason.

Also wondering about watercress. We have ponds full of the stuff, and I was wondering if it might be a safe green to add to their winter diet. Also duckweed and fairy moss (our ponds don't freeze, so we have lots of that to go around too).

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I feed banana and other vegie peels to my girls...potatoes, broc, carrot...the squash/pumpkin peels and innards...in addition to there regular ration. I also give them xmas trees to recycle

Orange peels are a bigtime favorite. Not sure about the pond weeds...

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

personally i wont feed banana peels ot anything , not even as a treat, they are raised with lots of pesticides in south american countries, where many are not regulated, i dont even compost the peels...
    just do a quick google on it, youll come up with a lot of info , course, this is my preference, but, i also dont buy non organic grapes or strawberries....the residues, and the toxicities to children , who have such a smaller body.. but i digress....

my goats ,when im not raising pigs or rabbits , get carrot tops, potato peels,broccoli trimmings, all of it
    in the fall when i harvest my garden , the girls will munch for a couple of weeks on a few corn stalks a day,

this past weekend i pruned the apple trees, you bet them girls are out there peeling bark off all the branches that i threw in thier pen for them....

4. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

If you are worried about chemicals in banana peelings you should be aware of the chemicals on potatoes. Potato fields are treated with herbicides fungicides and insecticides. My neighbor is a potato producer and is spraying his fields at least once a week if not with one of the afore mentioned chemicals, with water soluble furtilizer. Unless you are buying organic potatoes?

5. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

yeah , thats why i buy organic potatoes :D
    and why we are growing our own this year ....
    cant wait :D