Banana and Russian Blue potatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jackie c, Feb 26, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever grow banana or russian blue potatoes? I've ordered some this year and was wondering how they perform against the ususal types.

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

They grow well here, although I suspect your seed source is right up the road from here. It's important to grow them in an area that has had plenty of rest, seven years is the recommendation between planting potatoes in the same area.

I tend to prefer larger type spuds than Russian Blues or Bananna, but both are tasty!

3. jackie c

Thanks Bare, I'm just planting for these for myself, and wondered what they were like. I haven't planted potatoes here yet, other than the volunteers in the compost heap, so disease shouldn't be a problem.

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

Oh heck, you'll like 'em. I don't believe I've ever had a bad potato of any kind.

As I already mentioned, I prefer the larger potatoes, russets, reds and the like. I like the taste of the Russian Blues, they seem less bitter, but I have an awful time getting used to blue hashbrowns.

I like the bananas too, but lookout when you try to mash them for mashers! I find them very dry and have to add nearly twice the milk or water to them to get them to the consistency we are used to for mashed spuds.

Where did you get your seed? Idaho?

5. jackie c

I'm not sure where they originate, but I ordered them from Lindenburg Seeds, in Brandon, Manitoba. Not going to mash, just boil and butter, is there any other way to eat fresh from the garden potatoes :p