bamboo

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by stumpyacres, Jan 7, 2005.

1. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

I would like to add bamboo as part of my lndscaping - but heard it is invasive - how do I keep it under conrtol?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

There are two main types of bamboo. If you get one or more of the 'clumping' type you won't have any problem. This type spreads very slowly and puts up shoots close to the parent plant. The other type sends runners long distances and is hard to control.

3. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

I thought you all might be interested in seeing the bamboo that grows in Queensland Australia.

I don't know how well you can see it in this picture, but what my friend Vicky is standing next to, is a stand of bamboo. The size of it blew me away as it grows in Australia the size of young trees. Six to eight inches that we saw. How I wish we could grow that size here.
    [​IMG]

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Nan, you would want the timber bamboo. It might do well in TX. It does take a few years to get that big.

5. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard to contain bamboo you should excavate the desired space and line with a sturdy liner - like pool liner rubber. Then fill it in and plant. You could also build a planter and close the bottom, but allow some drainage.

6. jwulf

jwulf Member

You can also surround the bamboo with either corrugated roofing, metal or
    fiberglass (preferred because it lasts longer). You would need to go down about 20 inches, and slant it back away from the plant so the shoots go upwards.

The other way is to just cut off the new shoots that you don't want below the ground. They are supposed to be delicious!

-jwulf

7. kudzuview

kudzuview Member

i have a lot of running (invasive) bamboo. clumping is the way to go unless you have a lot of land you can turn over to it. the running type is unreal. yes you can make a barrier. but it will get around it without constant maintinace and still might go under if it is turned by a rock etc. as far as cutting it down where you dont want it, this was my way of working it untill i discoverd the roots had grown 100 feet under where i was keeping it down. it came up right where i was planning to plant a sweet potato garden. :eek: (this is some mean stuff). while it is beatiful and a nice habitat for birds i wil have to get rid of it before it takes over everythig here.(the only sure way to get rid of it is to chop it all down and keep chopping new shoots untill the energy supply in the roots is used up).
    :D bamboo is wonderful to look at work and build with just make shure you get the right type for your needs. a quick web search should give a few suppliers that will have just what you need. there are 100's of clumping variety's. good luck
    sorry to run on like this(maybe ive been around my bamboo to long). ive just been fighting this stuff for about five yaers and figure i have three more to go to tame it. it makes my kudzu which i have even more of seem like a slow growing cover crop.

8. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Not to thread drift but does anyone know of bamboo that will grow in zone 3/4? My sense is that it's probably hopeless but it's worth an ask. I have one little clump of black bamboo that traveled with me to this place and keeps barely hanging on and I do mean barely. I'd love to get a healthy stand going again if there's a variety that can take the temps here. ?

9. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Zone 4/5 clumping bamboo i.e. umbrella and fountain bamboos:

Fargesia nitidia
    Fargesia muriele

I had a New England Bamboo Co. catalog but cannot find it. I have never found a cheap source for bamboo, be prepared to spend $$$ for it. (My gallon of fargesia nitidia i got this year was $50 and that was as cheap as i could find it. If you do spring for it in a zone 3/4 I would recommend planting it in a sheltered site and mulching heavy in the winter.

There may be a phylostachys bamboo (runner) hardy enuf but I don't know the name offhand.

I heard that the bamboos in North America were flowering you may want to research this since bamboo flowers every 100 years and then dies.

Good Luck.

10. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Belated thanks for info on chilly bamboo evermoor. At $50 bucks a pop I'll have to put it on my someday "list". :rolleyes: Interesting about the 100 year flowering that's coming up in 20 years or so if I understand correctly. Never heard that before.

11. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My dad lives in northwest Alabama and his bamboo is obviously the invasive kind. It's out-of-hand and spreading like kudzu. The stuff is 30+ feet tall and 4-5 inches around...or more!

If you asked him, he would tell you NOT to plant bamboo. He hates the stuff now.

12. Thumbbuddy

Thumbbuddy Well-Known Member

I live in N.E. Pa. and wish I had mine to grow that dia. and 30 ft. high. The best I can get it up here is 2" dia. and best 20ft high under normal conditions and if we get a bad freeze it is gone.