Bamboo propogation

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by PrairieBelle22, Dec 8, 2006.

1. PrairieBelle22

PrairieBelle22 Well-Known Member

Hello, I am new to this forum. Been doing a lot of reading both in the archives and through the forums. The forums here are a wealth of information.

I looked through the archives for information on this topic but did not see anything on it:

In our office we have a vase of bamboo that has grown tall. We want to take cuttings to start but are unsure if just cutting and placing the cuttings in water will root it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    PrairieBelle

2. IowaLez

IowaLez Glowing in The Sun Supporter

Since 12/14 in Osceola, IA. Before that 6 yrs in f
    If you're talking about the plant sold as "Lucky Bamboo", it's not a real bamboo plant. You should be able to just cut off a stem with nodes and put it in water for it to root. I've never seen the plants growing in anything but water and gravel. Real bamboo cannot be propogated by cuttings, they grow from rhizomes that spread underground, and they don't grow in water.

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

"Lucky Bamboo" is Dracaena sanderiana, a common houseplant. It does very well potted.

4. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Bamboo can be a "beautiful curse!" Watch out which variety you plant! (Ask any southern Californian who has ignorantly planted the "wrong" kind ... and watched it spread and spread and spread and push up sidewalks and patios and do all kinds of wicked things in the yard!) Do your research BEFORE you invite that sometimes devilish little plant into your yard, or kiss your landscaping goodbye.
    BW