Balloon teats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by elfinl, Jan 12, 2005.

1. elfinl

elfinl Member

Hi to Everyone from Glynnis in Australia. I don't post very often but read with much enthusiasm!!
    A couple of years ago we bought an Anglo Nubian doe who we now realise was a BAD buy!!! I think the lady saw us coming in our naivity!! She never fattens and constantly looks thin, she's small and has a terrible udder--uneven, pendulous, one long, one short--jaw undershot....everything you can name Fleu has it....BUT..i just love her!! To me she's special. She actually managed to feed twins and about 6weeks ago they were sold. Well her udder hasn't gone down, in fact it's 'ballooning' unevenly (ofcource!!), and I'm worried that the ligaments will tear, if not already done so. I rang our vet who knows nothing about goats and she finally rang me back to say that it is probably a defect, called 'ballooning' teats and the options are a 'bra', amputate and not breed from her...which we won't be doing anyway. My question is: is there anything else anyone could think of that this might be or anything we can do to reduce the teats. They are cool and soft and in fact Fleur is in the best condition we've ever seen her in! HELP
    Many thanks
    Glynnis

2. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

First of all I feel that you should milk out just a small amount to relieve the pressure if she if very tight. When you want to start drying off a doe, you want to cut her back on her feed. I start off cutting feed, milking only once a day, after a few days I go to milking once a day every other day, then after a week or so depending on the doe, stop milking all together. Some does will dry up easily while others just want to keep on going. :) Good luck.

3. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Yes. For heaven sake milk her. She is a breed that makes a lot of milk. She had milk for twins. You took away the twins but she still made enough milk to feed them. She probably hurts. Just milk enough to relieve the tightness. Keep an eye on her and do it again when needed. no more than once a day. Then everyother day .. ect.
    A bad udder doesn't mean she can't give a bunch of milk. In your case it probably has more to do with the way her kids nursed her. She may of had a little mastitis in the one side and wouldn't let them nurse that side as much or they just prefered to fight over the one teet. They are kids after all. :haha:
    I have a goat that is my best milker but she sure does not have a show udder.
    She had triplets and so I did not milk her for a couple of months. She also had one udder bigger than the other but when I started milking her every day she evened out. I saw her kicking the kids off of that small side. She didn't have mastitus but that side was tenderer than the other. Maybe one got too rough with it and hurt it.

4. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Hello Glynnis! I too, like Corky, have a doe that doesn't have a "show" udder, but being Nubian, she milks a ton and therefore makes up for it..
    When I dry off my does, I quit feeding grain (cold turky!) and I quit milking.. I keep an eye on the udder and if it looks tight - if it's shaved, it'll look shiny - then I'll milk out a bit, maybe 1/4 cup, maybe 1/2, and I do this off the milk stand, clipped to the fence.. my does if they even think they're going in the milkroom will let down their milk~I just love 'em!
    What are you going to do with Fleu if you don't breed her? are you opposed to goats in the freezer? If not, you could raise her kids for meat and keep her in milk, and so no matter how bad she looks, she'll at least be productive...
    Anyway, whatever your decision, I'm glad your no longer lurking and that we got to meet you :)

5. elfinl

elfinl Member

Hi Corky and Stacey, thanks for your suggestions. Fleurs udder is soft and quite squishy, no tightness and no redness, never had mastitis. I'm not able to get a drip out of her udder!! There doesn't appear to be any there..it's like she has dried up but the udder has stayed as full looking as when she was feeding her twins. I've never had this sort of thing happen with any of my other goats....and thanks for the welcome. I make goat milk soap so I don't get onto forums much these days with little time to 'chat' and Fleur and Hanna provide my milk for my profitable market!!
    Glynnis

6. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Are you talking abt her udder or her teats?? Are you sure the teat isn't just plugged (which they do if not milked regularly) I would flick the oriface and make sure and then try milking again if she were mine.