Ball and Kerr jars

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by papaw, Feb 18, 2005.

1. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Hi ya'll,

We just got a bunch of old quart canning jars. So far, we have washed them and boiled them. The jars are very clean, but some still have a white powdery coating on the inside .... what is it and how do we get rid of it. It looks like the stuff that I've seen in jars used for green beans .... mineral deposits ... maybe?
    Also, some of the jars ... ball jars ... have a look of carnival glass ... it looks like an oil film in the glass. These are very clean and it is in the glass .... will there be anything wrong with using these jars?

All of them are very old, but they are in great shape.

HELP ..... PLEASE :)

2. LaDonna

LaDonna Well-Known Member

Sounds like lime deposits. Rinse with vinegar then run through the dishwasher, make sure to use a rinse aid in the dishwasher.

3. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

If the vinegar idea alone does not work why not try vinegar and those little scratch pads? Even an SOS pad but becareful not to scratch.

4. Buggs

Buggs Member

It's glass disease. Old glass get it from sitting around dirty. It is cause by bacteria that produces acid that etches the glass. The only way to get rid of it is to polish the glass with a very fine abrasive. It isn't really a disease, just called that. The glass is frosted from acid eating at it.

Buggs Bunny

5. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Really?? How interesting.....would steel wool or like soft scrub take care of it??

6. Buggs

Buggs Member

The only thing that will polish the glass that has become frosted by acid etching is a very fine polishing compound. It is probably not worth the effort except with antique glassware. I have used cerium oxide to polish glass with a buffer. Just use the jars as is.

If you have a rock tumbler you could put one jar in it at a time with some polishing compound.

7. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

You might try TSP, tri sodium phosphate.

8. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Thanks all,

How bout the carnival glass look? as to the powder ... some of it comes off pretty easy with just a brillo pad. I was unsure as to use them or not. We got several jars and I guess we'll just use the better ones.
    Any ideas on the carnival look??????

9. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

If the powder comes off that easy I suspect minerals from boiling them to clean them. Like the powder coating the bowl I boiled tap water in in the microwave yesterday! Vinegar will assist where it is thicker.

10. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

the white is a hard water deposit left when low acid goods such as green beans and corn are canned ,cann tommatoes in them next year and they will be clean and shiney......lol, the iradecent look is from the potasium in the glass it is often caused by being in very bright sunlight for long periods of time,this is not a problem for use in canning ,,,,,,, by the way some of the jars may be collectable because ball and kerr changed patterns so much over the years, the old jars are thicker and i think they are stronger, i should slip some of the potential collectables out of my canning pile but they still keep getting rotated in,as always watch the rims for nicks that would cause the lid to not seal and observe for cracks elsewere before using for canning

11. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Thanks george darby... and all ... for some good info.

12. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter