Baler Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mamahen, Aug 3, 2006.

1. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

We are buying a New Holland 65 Baler. Right price & we can't pass it up.

Here's the problem. When it bales, one of the strings in almost off of the bale. Not really too big of a problem, I'd say, but the men say yes, it is. Also, on the side that the string in down on, the hay isn't quite as tight. I believe that the teeth were replaced before it was stored (for 3-4 years). And yes, it did this before it was stored.

We'll be pulling it with a Massey Furgeson 50. I've read conflicting reports that it will or won't be able to do it. Really hope it can!! This will mean, next year we will have approx. 400-800 bales!! Enough for our goats, and a few cattle & a horse.

2. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

www.ytmag.com is a good place for questions like this....post in the implement forum.

The baler most likely needs an adjustment or two, when you say the twine is about off the bale, you mean its to close to the edge or to loose so it slides off easily?

Your MF 50 should be fine, I just got done baling about 400 bales with a JD 14T baler ( old small square baler similar to that NH 65 ) with a JD 955 which has about 27 pto hp, your MF has 35 or so.

Your MF should work better than the one JD I used as it looks to be bigger and heavier to boot.

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

check the dogs (dropping wedges top and bottem spring loadedd) and the wedges in the side of the bale chamber. dogs should move up and down freely on their springs and should be wedges either side.

4. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

ok is it loose because there is less hay on that side or is it loose because there is the same amount of hay but compacted less? if less hay, then the feed fingers in the bailer trought are worn or need to be adjusted. these fingers can be adjusted to feed hay to the far side of the bail chamber or near. if compaction, then there should be be two slides on the top just outside the bail chamber, they should have independant screw jack adjustments to add compression to either the close or far side of the bail.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I know NH balers a little newer than yours. I believe the 65 has a wad-board yet? Don't know how to adjust those, but sounds like your baler is not paking the hay evenly across the bale, leaving one side looser than the other. Which side is it that comes out loose? Makes a difference.

Another possiblitiy is that you do not have the tensioners (cranks on the back of the bale chute) evenly clamped down.

Sometimes they say if you drive with the windrow all the way far away from the tractor, the baler will pack better with some models.

A bigger windrow will make a tighter bale, so long as you aren't plugging the baler. Very small, wimpy windrows & slow tractor speed can make a light, worthless bale.

A few ideas anyhow.

ytmag.com is a good place to check.

--->Paul

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I agree the haydogs and wedges are not holding the hay between strokes and the tension is likely not even on both cranks.