baleage anyone?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by len, Jul 21, 2005.

1. len

len Well-Known Member

anyone have experience with individually wrapped big round bales? all comments welcome...handling, storing, feeding, spoilage etc
    as much as I like the convenience of small square bales, I need to improve my labour efficiency at haying time.
    thanks,

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You'll also improve your feed quality and should save money with baleage in reduced suppliment. I've not used the wrapped bales but have used stacked and plastic covered piles, which is cheaper and works reasonably well on mixed forages bales. I tried it on sorghumn and it did have a few moldy bales but perhaps that was the inconsistant drying? The only thing I can add off the top of my head is the silage inoculants are well worth using they really do make a batter bale of silage, especially if the hay took a rain.

3. len

len Well-Known Member

thanks Ross. Lots of headscratching will be required before I change from small squares. And the learning curve will be steep...can't afford too many mistakes.
    But somethin's gotta give. :D I cut my last 8 acres of FIRST cut yesterday!

I guess a safe interim step would be big rounds of dry hay, then maybe transition to baleage...or do some of each.

Maybe nore Daylight Saving time is the answer. ;)

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

there was a large sheep flock near us that used chopped grass and corn silage in a tower silo . less wastage and better feedabilaty . longstem hay tends to have a large amount of waste . we have a bale chopper that reduces the waste but is very time consuming. have seen large piles of feed spoiled after being wrapped and sheep are very susseptable to molds. keep thinking of chopping dryed hay in the field and filling the barn,less work and labour!!