balding calf???????

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JR05, Jul 2, 2006.

1. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Got a 2 week old calf from a local dairy (odd birthing time,only one) He was scouring and looked dirty. Put him on goat milk 50/50 scoured big time. 2 days of electrolites and antibiotics. Scours settled down.Yesturday he started to lose his hair down all 4 legs and under chin/neck area???? Called vet he said it was poop scald that as long as the skin is pink it isn't bugs or mange. Could the calf lose all of his hair due to being dirty in one of those calf hutch things?? I don't know that much about cows, I deal with goats on a more daily basis. Haven't had this problem with my goats. We now have him on goats milk 50/50 3 times aday and am trying to get him to eat some grain and hay. Doesn't seem to be interested in anything except the bottle. Is this ok for now? Have him in with the 20+ kids we currently have to try and socialize him, he would hide in the corner and only come out when I went in with the bottle, now he is at least sniffing the kids and sleeping in the same area as them at night. Is there anything I should be doing and am not?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can I bath him with baby shampoo to get the loose hair and dirt off of him or is he still too young. It is very warm here right now?

jr05

2. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

WELL..to me it sounds like Lice...we just poured our show calf for it, so yeah...im not sure tho..IS it crusty? that could be ringworm...let me know
    Have a GREAT and SAFE 4th of July!
    AJ

3. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

No there is no crusting just pink and black skin. Very smooth to the touch. We also thought about lice so I de-loused anyway. What about the bathing?

jr05

4. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

A bucket of warm soapy water(cheap shampoo.. people kind ) and a spounge wash off his behind areas.. i wouldnt completey soak him down with a cold hose ... make sure you rinse .. and rub dry
    this shouldnt hurt him at all
    yeah it sounds like manure scald .. unsightly , but no biggy .. washing off the manure will also help with fly control as well

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Do as lilsassafrass suggested and continue to observe the skin. You should see the fuzz start to grow almost immediately. If no fuzz in a few days then treat the animal with ivermectin. What breed of calf is this and how much volume of the 50/50 are you feeding total in the 3 feedings per day?

6. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Very common in calves that have had a bad start and it will come right of it's own accord. Lice are an autumn/winter problem and I personally wouldn't be treating it for this. Within the week you you be seeing the beginnings of new hair growth.

Like Agman, I too would be interested to know how much your feeding this calf and feel that the proportion of milk should be climbing on a daily basis and an attempt made to cut out the third feed, also on a proportional basis. Continue to offer him grain and hay but try a grain formulated for calves. Some calves can be a bit slow getting the hang of grain and the odd one will never bother - I have one now that takes a mouthful and wanders off, the other 3 guzzle it like it's going to be the last food they ever see.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

7. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

A fever will also cause a calf to loose hair, though that is generally in the rump and around the muzzle area. Fevers often accompany scours.

8. john in la

john in la Well-Known Member

As the vet said if his skin is still in good condition it is manure scald. While a calf can stand a cold rain its coat is what protects it. Soaking with a hose will chill it from wetting to the skin. Shampoo just makes it worse. I would sponge him off with plain clear warm water. If you must use shampoo you can but try just water first. Make sure you towel dry him and let him into the sun for drying and warming.
    While I want to say something about the farmer you got him from I will pass on that.

I to want to know what quantity of milk you are feeding. 8 to 10% of body weight is plenty. If you are feeding 3 full bottles a day that is 1 1/2 gallons or 13 lbs. This calf would have to be over 130 lbs or almost 2 months old for that much milk.

9. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Finally got to see the vet yesturday and major loss of hair was due to fever during the scours. Went ahead and bathed him the other day with a dog shampoo that contained alvera and vit E. Seemed to help some the loss of hair slowed down. yes it was very warm outside and we hooked up to the barn sink that has hot water so He got a warm bath just like you would. As to the milk and quanitiy I am giving him. Kept him on the electos for 2 full days then mixed 1 quart of goats milk with 1 quart of electros and fed that 3 times a day. So he only got 3 quarts of milk with 3 quarts of water/electros. Now he is nibbling on grass and hay and when we feed the kids he is right in there with them trying to get his share. He is on about 5 cups milk with 3 cups water in each bottle now and is doing much better. I will breath easier when he is out running and playing with the kids like the calves in the past, then I will know he is better. PS the hair is starting to grow back and we are using a sunscreen with alerva and vit e that has a 25 pt. So he wont get a sunburn!

Thank for all your help.
    jr05 :p