Balanced Budget

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Trevilians, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Trevilians

Trevilians Well-Known Member

I finally finished tallying our 2006 expenses (we use Quicken). After substracting all expenses from our net income and doing the math to figure monthly figures), we have $39.40 left over at the end of the month.

This list of expenses includes insurances (house & auto), taxes, savings (automatically deducted from paycheck), utilities, hobbies, eating out, auto expenses (gas, maintenance, etc.) personal, postage, charity, clothing, gifts, medical, household (improvements, maintenance, etc.) even a small misc. catagory.

We track all expenses: checks, charges and cash. I even list smaller cash expenses like tolls, and parking meter money (that goes in misc).

We've been doing this for years and this is the first time we've really feel confident that we've done it right. I was thrilled that we basically balanced.

Now, just need to keep this going for 2007!

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Too cool! Congratulations. With tax increases and the price of heating I just figured our 2007 and we're -68 a month.

Think I need to work on that...

3. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

Doesn't it feel good to have everything in order? I must be strange, but I really enjoy working with numbers and making sure I have everything accounted for.

4. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

I have been in charge of the money juggling for a few years now (I have posted previously about DH jobless status, etc).

What always gets me is that ONE THING that comes up that just throws you all out of wack! I'll heave a sigh of relief when all the numbers work, and then something happens to throw me off by $40, $75, even $100.

for example: a flat tire. only have a compact spare. The puncture is in the sidewall= not patchable. $40 tire, $15 mount/balance. grrrrrr.

or: dog got in a dog fight protecting ME. Peroxide, tetanus shot, penicillian. about $18.00

or: DH is on the road for 5 more days, I get pneumonia. MUST rouse myself at least 2x per day to feed animals. Generic Nyquil- $4.00, Generic VapoRub, $4.00, generic fever reducer, $2.75, orange juice, etc.

5. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Good for you! We use Quicken also and I've struggled with a few things on there, but, basically I've figured it out and I hardly have anything on paper anymore.

We've seen our farm expenses go up up up and the farm income has not gone up as much :shrug: but that wasn't a surprise.

And, no, we don't save every receipt so the YE total is not dead on. And we both take an allowance each week that we don't need to account for. Some items are purchased/sold in 2006 but not paid for or money received for until 2007, that might throw off the amount too.