Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've narrowed choices for our well hand pump down to either a Baker Monitor or a Bison. Any thoughts or suggestions as to which one we should go with?

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
Unless I am missing something, it's apples to oranges.

A Bison hand pump can be used with an existing well that is suppling the home with water from an electric pump. In other words, a single well can be fitted with both the hand pump and an electric pump at the same time.

The Baker pump uses its own well and is attached to the outer well casing.

I installed a Baker pump almost 25 years ago. It is bulletproof and works like a champ even in subzero weather.

18836086_10211613967778711_4773056880765571144_n.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless I am missing something, it's apples to oranges.

A Bison hand pump can be used with an existing well that is suppling the home with water from an electric pump. In other words, a single well can be fitted with both the hand pump and an electric pump at the same time.

The Baker pump uses its own well and is attached to the outer well casing.

I installed a Baker pump almost 25 years ago. It is bulletproof and works like a champ even in subzero weather.

View attachment 84308
So can a Baker be used in conjunction with an existing well that uses an electric pump? Initially we were leaning towards Bison, but couldn't find anyone out near us that would install one. We did find several people who install Bakers though, and the guy I talked to made it sound like it worked with our existing pump just like a Bison, and could even pressurize a water tank. Maybe I misunderstood him though.

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
So can a Baker be used in conjunction with an existing well that uses an electric pump? Initially we were leaning towards Bison, but couldn't find anyone out near us that would install one. We did find several people who install Bakers though, and the guy I talked to made it sound like it worked with our existing pump just like a Bison, and could even pressurize a water tank. Maybe I misunderstood him though.
I suppose it could work with an existing well using using an electric pump. The well casing would have to have a diameter that would allow for two drop lines. The minimum pump cylinder for a Baker pump has a diameter of just less than 2". Also, your well casing would have to be steel to support the weight of the Baker pump.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,913 Posts
So can a Baker be used in conjunction with an existing well that uses an electric pump?
If your casing is large enough it can be.
Most casings aren't though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts