Baker Creek seed Co... not happy with!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by nans31, Mar 31, 2004.

1. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

I ordered some seeds through Baker Creek seed company. They sent out a few pages stapled together with general planting help. There isn't any information given on some of the things I bought, so sent a few emails asking for it. Never heard one word from them. (I ended up complaining to BBB)

Anyway, I found out instructions for all but Luffa goards, Nicotinia mix flowers, and mangel beets. Does anyone have info on them?? Please?

2. spring77

spring77 Well-Known Member

You obviously have internet access why not try an internet search. I almost guarantee you will find the info you need. As far as Baker Creek Seed goes, it happens to be the single busiest time of year for seed companies. Early Spring. Baker Creek is a very small family run operation and I do not find it surprising they could not answer your email in a prompt fashion. Most seed companies have a paragragh of extremely general info on the packet and that's it. I think a couple of pages stapled together is pretty good. I feel you seriously overreacted by involving the Better Business Bureau. But that is just my opinion maybe you were more seriously neglected than your post makes it sound.

3. eb

eb Well-Known Member

I was pretty disappointed with the customer service on a recent order as well...sent an email, no response (ever) and sent a second one and took a long time to get back what I thought was a very cold, matter-of-fact email that was not particularly friendly or helpful....

I'll see how the seeds do, but will probably look elsewhere for nexy years order. I expected better for some reason.

4. I was called a winer because I had mentioned to them that I had ordered tomato seeds and they sent me what I belived to be pumpkin.All I was asking for was -they send me the seeds I ordered and I send them back what they sent.I thought I was being polite ,there was no rush ,so I was;nt making a big deal out of it.But the way they reacted one would think I had kicked the dog .

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

They do not seem to be good at replying to emails, but almost every seed I have planted so far has sprouted and thrived, and that counts for alot.

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Loofa gourds:

Either soak them for 24 hours, or cut an edge off one side of the seed, without nicking the inside. They may take a bit to sprout. Plant about an inch deep. They will make a long vine, so they will need support.

7. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

http://gardenwatchdog.com/

Register your experiences with mail order garden companies at this sight so others can learn from your experience.

Remember to comment on BOTH favorable and poor exchanges.

8. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

I purchased them in Jan. and wrote right away the first time. I emailed a few weeks later, after giving plenty of time to respond. I then called, and was told by the person who answered the phone when I asked about planting info that "she doesn't own the company, and she does NOT know!". So, that's when I contacted the BBB. I checked WITH the BBB before ordering from them, and no record was found. By the way, my complaint was forwarded to them and I haven't heard one thing!

I do not think a couple pages stapled together is pretty good. These are heirloom seeds, not the variety purchased at Wal-Mart. They have a responsibility to provide what is needed to grow these plants. Do I assume I just throw them out there and they'll sprout. Simple information like when to plant, how close, sun/shade etc isn't asking too much!!!

I have searched the internet, and as I said I have found instructions for most. I haven't found instructions for the ones I listed.

9. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I think that with the article in Countryside -- and who knows what other media attention they've gotten -- they may have gotten a bit overwhelmed with demand. It is a relatively new company. I also ordered seeds from them and also received inadequate planting instructions. Some of the seeds I ordered are not your run-of-the-mill garden variety stuff, like naranjilla, for instance, and I have no idea how best to cultivate them. I'll just have to plant 'em at 2x the seed depth, and hope for the best. I hope they improve their info. But the oddball seeds might not make it in this microclimate anyway, and that is not their fault. 'Course, it would be good to have more thorough zone information for each cultivar, too.

10. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info on Baker. Someone on the forum sent me luffa seeds and a friend gave us some. We need the planting info as well so glad you asked. Order from Pinetree next time. They are cheaper and answered all my questions via email promptly last year. I didn't order from them yet this year but you might try to ask them anyway. I am sure they can answer your questions if someone here can't.

11. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

So what type of seeds do you get from wal-mart? I just planted some seeds in cups and now after the last email I read Im thinking I made some mistakes from buying from them

12. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Walmart is a good place to buy the hard to find seeds and sometimes get some cheaper seeds when they have a sale. We got stevia seeds from them. Darryl said they are hard to grow but seeds are coming through the soil. I think if you provide the right growing conditions and plant in the proper soil, you will do all right. Provide pllenty of light and warm growing conditions. My friend just brought me some tomato and pepper seeds growing in only horse manure and they came up. My neighbor makes her own potting soil out of peat moss, perlite and compost. I made my own also from the peat, vermiculite and compost.

13. spring77

spring77 Well-Known Member

Here is what I could find (first one or two listings of each google search).

Luffas

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-120.html

http://www.twincreek.com/gourds/luffa.htm

Nicotiana mix flowers

http://www.backyardgardener.com/annual/annual56.html

http://www.gardenandhearth.com/Gardening/annuals/nicotiana.htm

Mangel Beets

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/beet1.html

The beet info is not specific to mangels but all the mentions of mangels I could find indicated they are just a big rough type of beet so you should be fine growing them just like regular table beets except maybe give them a little more room.

14. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I got my order from Bakers Creek and found them great to work with. Maybe they were just busy or just assume anyone who raises heirlooms knows how to grow the unusual seeds.
    Anyway, I did a search for mangel beet planting and found this, hope it helps:
    Yellow Mangel Beet
    Beta vulgaris
    Heirloom
    2-8 in.

Milder, more subtle flavor than red beets, this striking yellow beet is a French heirloom from the 1800s. The sweet, white fleshed root can reach ten pounds and the large leaves make an excellent chard-like steamed green. Easy to grow and keeps well. Grows well in spring and fall. Sow 1 seed per inch directly in soil in rows 12-18 inches apart. Enrich soil lightly with aged compost. Water regularly. (Lapses in watering make beets woody.) Can be pulled at any stage, from 1 inch to full maturity.
    Planting Depth: .5"-1"
    Soil Temp. for Germ.: 55-75°F
    Days to Germ.: 5-10
    Plant Spacing: 2-4"
    Days to Maturity: 65-70
    Full Sun/Partial Shade
    Moderate Water

Also here's another site that has info about planting all sorts of crops including mangels.
    http://floridata.com/ref/b/beta_vul.cfm