bagging up? soon? not soon? I dont know!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TxCloverAngel, Nov 29, 2006.

1. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

my two pygmy girls, daisy & daffodil whom I hope are both pg are both starting to bag up.
    this is a first for both of them.
    they will be 2 in April and have been w/ a nice young buck for several months. ( I have been letting nature take it course to get babies when they are ready.)
    I never saw him mount them.... but he mounts our pot belly pig all the time lol so I'm sure he has.

My question is...
    I figured I'd be able to tell when they were pg by them getting way bigger... they are pg looking.. but they are pygmies.. they always have a big belly. they are not huge, but bigger than they were.

they are both getting bags. that mean yes? no? soon? not soon?

as you can tell this is a first for me too! lol

2. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Dana, I have does that bag up a month or more before they kid -- I have others that bag up the DAY before! :) So there just really isn't any telling. Without a firm breeding date, you're just going to have a surprise! <g>

Tracy

3. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

What do you mean by bag up? Is it a little, lot, really tight? I also ave goats bag up a little a couple months before and I have one doe that doen not get anything until she delivers, then it is just there.

4. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't breed my pygmy doe until she was 3.5, she was a little over 4 when she delivered. I spend lots of time with my critters, so I noticed when she was 2 months pregnant that she had a little softball-tennis ball size udder. She was of course, flat before. She really bagged up later.

5. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

I would say they are about softball size. not tight...nice and soft. just bigger than before.

6. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats, sounds like you will be having babies sometime in the near future!! :)

My set up was like yours, doe loose with the buck. But I did see the mating. My buck was young, and didn't take until Oct. He was born in May. I knew he started trying in July. So I had that time frame, July - until I noticed in Dec. The kids were born March 29. :dance: