bagging up/drying off

Discussion in 'Goats' started by silvergirl, Oct 21, 2006.

1. silvergirl

silvergirl Well-Known Member

Hi, all,
    I have been trying to dry off my Sadie girl because she should be due in another month - I think - but she keeps filling up - we are down to about a day and a half between milkings but she just is not getting down lower than that... is it possible she is bagging up as I am trying to dry her off? how would I know and what do I do? I don't want her to be painfully uncomfortable - so I haven't let her go too long before I milk her down (but not completely out!) I know when I was weaning my breast fed babies, it went smoothly, and the milk supply diminished quickly... am I doing something wrong? :shrug:
    silvergirl

2. goatee

goatee Active Member

Just stop milking her and she will dry up.You should let her dry at least 60 days before freshening.I dry my girls off 90 days at least.Give them time to make the babies.Making milk and babies is tough on the doe.I would not milk her again.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Yes, stop milkng her. When you decide to dry up a goat you stop milking. You can ease some milk, perhaps a cup or more out of each side in a doe who udders up to shinny, but a full udder signals her brain to stop producing milk. You do not have a dry doe, you have a doe you are milking every day and a half :)

When you weaned your children did you just decrease your diet and your fluids, wore a tight bra and stop expressing or letting your child nurse....or did you let your child nurse every 2 days, then every 3 days :) Teasing.

I also have a doe who simply never really dries, even during her last 50 days of pregnancy when she is not being milked she has milk in her udder, she never dries up completely. Vicki

4. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

at one month to go she should be bagging up for those kids. Stop milking her she needs that milk for them.

5. silvergirl

silvergirl Well-Known Member

Thanks, y'all... I appreciate having more expert folks around to advise me...
    silvergirl