bad udder..

Discussion in 'Goats' started by happyladybug, Jul 19, 2006.

1. happyladybug

happyladybug Well-Known Member

last night i bought a goat with twin kids on her. the kids are two weeks old.
    my problem is that her udder is lopsided.. i'm wondering if i can help her level her udder by milking her out. the previous owner was milking the one side just too releive pressure.. by milking her completely will it help dry her one side.. or will it cause her to engorge more?? should i leave her -i'm thinking maybe if i milk her down the babies would be able to take the teat.. they favor the one side -
    she is a three year old mixed breed goat..

thanks -

janis

2. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

3. happyladybug

Thank you__

that's what i was thinking - maybe the previous owner wasn't milking enough out for the babies to latch on.... because the teat is large with that side engorged....

janis

4. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

It won't even out completely until next year (and then only if you milk her at least once a day on both sides. I would milk her twice a day right now and see how that goes after a few weeks of it.

5. happyladybug

do you think that i will need to give her a year off of breeding to let her even out?

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I wouldnt worry about that. One of my sheep is always lopsided but it hasnt caused any problems. Shes always the last one to dry up and I usually have to milk her down once or twice after weaning but her udder returns to normal once she dries up

7. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

No, don't give her a year off. Freshening again and having you milk both sides twice a day is what wil even her udder out again.

8. happyladybug

i milked her out last night.... it didn't start out too smoothly.. she didn't like my treats in the milkstand.. i don't think she considered boss and cracked corn a treat... (very little cracked corn by the way) - i even put raisins on top and she didn't care for those much..

anyway - milked out 2 1/2 quarts out of the one side.. -- looks like good milk - but when we taste it after chilling - it is soooo salty..

i know the previous owners fed sweetfeed - i don't do that.. my goats graze and get some oats and boss... occasionally a spattering of cracked corn..
    do you think it's because she wasn't milked out completely previosly on the oneside or due to feed?? i'm going to do a search on previous posts - i know i've read something on salty milk...

thanks!!

janis