bad tempered doe

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Meg Z, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I have just a few French angoras. One junior doe is becoming a problem, quite rapidly. This is a doe that I waited on, from a particular breeding, with a particular coloration, and paid top dollar for her.

She's always been a bit grumpy, but the last few weeks she's gotten downright mean. I now use a towel to take her from her cage. Once she's out she's fine. (possibly just extreme territorality there)

But, I also can't get her to breed. It's starting to warm up, she's almost 7 months now, and I need to catch the window before it's too hot for my buck to be fertile. I've held her,(she fights my buck) and the buck is trying to do his part, but apparently is getting nowhere. I've not had to hold a doe for breeding before. Is there some trick to it? Some small thing I'm missing?
    If I can get her bred, I'm planning on pulling the litter and only bringing them in for feeding. I can restrain her for that, since she seems that she might be a risk for killing a litter. I want at least one litter, to see if that temper problem is liable to be passed on. If it is, then I'll have to cull her...dang it! but I won't know until I try!

Thanks,
    Meg

2. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

Sorry i don't have good news. I have read several times on this site that Meaness is inherited, so more than likely if you do get her bred, the offspring will likely be mean also. But they may not all be mean, or none of them may be mean. Good luck, I hope it turns out well for you.

3. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

have you tried putting a buck on either side of the doe?

4. mmurrey

mmurrey Well-Known Member

Hi- I was told to try to get a doe breed by trying to pull her front legs out in front of her,that will help raise her bottom up and to keep her that way till the buck does his job. You might bring her and the buck out of their cages and place them on a table so that niether one feels to terirorial. I am not an expert but was told this by some people that have rabbits for many years. Hope that will work for you. As to whether the babies will be mean I couldn't say anything on that but, I think if you can bring them in and out of the house and are handled alot I would think they would come to realize that you are not going to hurt them in any way. We are currently raising a litter and the mom was not to friendly but the babies are quite nice to us handling them. Good Luck!!

Mellissa

5. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Spread the doe out, and put your hands under her hips, lift up her hips (you may have to pull her tail up too) so her "area" is up in the air and showing, then the buck can breed her. If she is territorial, I would NOT take the box out, just leave them in there and let her be, don't disturb anything. Give her pine shavings so you don't have to change straw halfway through the litter, they are much more absorbent and you really don't want to disturb a mean doe like that. You can see if it passes in her genes, but it usually does, I'll give you fair warning!

Another thing, don't touch the babies unless you are VERY careful, better to pull back the fur and count and don't touch THEM!! She could kill them just for that, mean does do that.

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Thanks for the suggestions...and the warnings! Persephone is a gorgeous black French Angora, wonderful, easy care coat, easily a show quality animal...except for this 'little' problem. I'll try 'presenting' her better tomorrow and see how the breeding goes.

Her grandmother was named "Grumpy". I wonder now if that was more significant than I thought! :no: However, I have another doe, who is a daughter of Grumpy, and is the sweetest tempered girl. Sire is the same on both of those breedings, as well.

thanks much, guys!
    Meg

7. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

LOL, I had one doe named grumpy too. :) And yes, she was! :)