Bad strain of something?!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by allenslabs, Oct 6, 2006.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I have these little holstein bull calves and there is something wrong with em. They just get the runs and this one here was fine and acted ok last night and ate its full bottle then this morning it's laying flat doesn't wanna eat and just acts like it wants to die. Wednesday that happened to a little heifer she's about a week and a half old and she ate the night before had the runs but wasn't dehydrated and then I went out and she was dead. I'm giving penicillin, probios and putting an egg in their bottle, and also SMZ tablets. What's the deal? This one today got Baytril, Banamine, blue scour tablets, and 3 pints of an eletrolyts solution plus nutridrench. Any ideas? This is a big deal this is the 3rd one out of 7 that is acting like that. They are being fed raw cows milk a bottle twice a day.

2. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

I could give you tons of advice that is regularly given on this cattle forum, but your individual situation sounds extremely grim. I would recommend you contact a local VET immediately. Also do a quick forum search with the keyword being "SCOURS", lots of pre-written help waiting for you. Pay particular attention what poster "john in la" and "up north" have to say. All of us can give you advice, but with animals dying you need local help. How about a local dairyman, those boys have seen it all. Bottom line you need to remove all dairy products from the sick calves for at least 72hours. Also isolate the healthly from the sick calves. Replace liquids with any one of the numerous farm reciepies available. I would be happy to give you mine but right now your situation seems complicated. Call for help ASAP, a VET visit in Tennessee is only $30.00. Thirty dollars is nothing compared to a dead heifer calf....Tennessee John

3. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

This is similar to my receipe, I also add lots of crushed Vit C, powder from Probitic capsules, and a raw egg or two.

If you cannot find a source for th electrolyte you can made a substitute
    1 can of beef consume soup
    1 package of jelly pectin (sure gel)
    2 tea spoons lite salt
    2 tea spoons baking soda
    enough warm water to make a total of 2 quarts solutions
    Grab the animals skin on the side of the neck and pull it away from the neck. If a pyramid of skin remains after releasing, the need for treatment in immediate!

Keep us in the loop,,,,, Tennessee John