Bad Santa

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by dragonfly1113, Dec 22, 2006.

1. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

How many of you play a game at Christmas called Bad Santa?

If you do play it... How does your family play it?

We all get a $25 gift and wrap it. We dont put names on them and no one knows if a gift is a girls or a boys. (Boys buy boy gifts and girls buy girl gifts)
    Everyone draws numbers. Number one goes first and last.
    Number one picks a present from under the tree and opens it. Number two goes and either picks a present from under the tree or takes number ones present. And it keeps going until number one goes at the end. It is so fun taking presents from somebody else. I love to pick on my brother and stick him with some girl gift and watch him start blinking real fast (he does that when he is mad) it is so funny.

2. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

We do this every year with the extended family (except our limit is $10). However we didn't know it had a name!! Actually they are all probably playing it as I type this. We aren't there this year because my wife didn't want to drive that far (8hrs) with the new baby :)
    Just wanted to add that each participant brings a gift (in case someone reading has never played this before).

3. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Around my area it's called "Dirty Santa". If everyone can be good natured, it can be fun. I worked for a company for five years that played Dirty Santa at every Christmas party. I don't remember a year that someone didn't get mad, disappointed or hurt feelings. From my personal experience, in the future, I'll always try to avoid these gift games if possible.

4. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I think we call it a Yankee Swap around here. Very fun. :)

5. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    We always play it at our Mary Martha Society (ladies' group) at church. It is a really good time! I can't imagine anyone every getting mad. We call ours "Dirty Santa" too.

6. dragonfly1113

Yea, every now and then I could see somebody getting mad. It really depends on someones personality. We think it is fun and we try to pick on certain ones but it is all in fun. We look forward to it every year. I get to play it tomorrow night.

7. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

We call it "White Elephant". Funny to hear the other names for it!

8. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

We call it "Aunt Elsie's Cr*p-o-rama" after our decease Aunt who was quite the "recycler".

It is everyones opportunity to recycle ----- or re-gift.
    You never know what you might end up with.

Most gifts are nice and appreciated, but you never know what to expect.

Its one of our favorite Christmas traditions!

9. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Did it for a ladies' coffee (ornament exchange) and I felt bad that the Xmas bell I brought was obviously last choice. My bad.

But DH's office called it Dirty Santa, said to bring a white elephant and it was supposed to be anything, not necessarily of value. Someone brought in an old old computer 'some assembly required' which was totally worthless; we got a pink vibrating pig good for jokes and actually DD6 glommed onto it when we brought it home but I sure wish we could've got the homemade rumballs! Those who do not want their gift much can save it for next year's (or another larger office wide one) Dirty Santa.

10. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Around these parts it's called (rather non PC) Chinese Christmas. I've never known WHY it's called that. And unless it's specified that it's a "White Elephant Chinese Christmas" or a jokey one, we usually spend $15 on as nice a present as possible.

While it can be fun in small groups, I do think it can carry on far too long in a larger group setting. I also think it's not the best "game" for children to play. I've seen even fairly mature 12 or 13 year olds get tears in their eyes when a gift they liked gets snatched from them.

11. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, I saw our Chief Financial Officer get mad when she wasn't able to keep a carosel. She collected them. We were to buy some type Christmas item, with a $15 limit. Many times I heard remarks about the cheap gift they wound up with when they brought something nice. Nah, I don't want to participate in Dirty Santas anymore.

12. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

We play Dirty Santa at our night shift party every year. $20 limit, nice gifts, and it is a small group (less than 20). We have a good time with it and everyone has fun. I don't think I've ever seen someone get actually MAD over having a gift "stolen". Maybe we're just better sports than some groups?

This year my dsis told us to bring a small under $5 gift, wrapped, to the party at her house. I'm betting we're playing Dirty Santa... :D

13. dragonfly1113

I thought I was gonna get mad tonight. lol I had something I really wanted to hang on to and it got eyed up and down pretty good then they moved on. Whewww. I got a king size quilt with matching shams from JC Penny. I really like it. But some of those quilt stitches, I sware, looked like you could hang your toe in them. lol

14. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

We play it--we do it w/ several different groups during the holidays... I agree it's fun w/ smaller groups but w/ 50 people it's just too long. One yr. I took a huge can of popcorn and taped a gift cert. (for the limit amount) one the bottom... (this group hates these big cans of popcorn). It was nice to see their faces when the last person unwrapped the dreaded popcorn and I said look on the bottom! It was the nicest gift there...

Funny one, last yr. I took a coffee mug (purchased at the everything's a $ store and slid a cert. to the book store in it. Well, when the women behind got that package--I almost fell over because she actually said "But I don't read books" :shrug: Queen Bee

15. Kris W.

Kris W. unregistered user

We play it at my Mom's house (she lives in New York) and last year I ended up with a can of sardines.....lol