Bad News!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tarot Farm, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

Last night a raccoon broke into the barn where I kept my two Californians. Well, this morning the doe was sitting 'funny'. I took a look at her and sure enough her backs are injured; she drags them around. I am so upset! :grit:

I had the place 'varnit proof' as I could get it. Not even a sparrow could get in, so the coon tore at a storm window to get in...broke the glass. She was the one who was going to have the Christmas bunnies.... :bash:

I have her as comfortable as possible for now. I want to see if she is better in the morning...if not, I will put her down.

I also had an incubator in the barn and the coon tore it up some too.

IS there anything that will make the coons stay away? Does the dog repellent work on them?

2. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

That's terrible, so sorry this happened. At one of my work places raccoons kept getting into the dumpster and scattering stuff from the staff break room. I used "Predator Urine" to keep them away, it worked until it wore off or got washed away by the rain. It's pretty expensive though.

Hopefully someone else will have a better idea for you. Raccoons are crafty little buggers and quite dexterous. I hope you can get the problem solved quickly. Maybe staple or nail 1' x 1', or something close to that, wire over the window.

Did the little monster get any eggs out of the incubator? I hope your doe is better by tomorrow and you'll have bunnies for Christmas.

3. Tarot Farm

I am afraid that 'all' of the eggs in incubator were ruined too. The bandit actually popped the windows on the incubator to get in; I have a terrible time taking them out to clean the darned thing. The temperture inside was way too cool for the eggs.

I just hope and pray that the doe just strained something and will be better tomorrow. The weather is not supposed to be so cold for the next few days and the sun is out for brief visits today. We are expecting some rain and probably thunderstorms too.

I guess that I will have to board the windows shut! I had wire over the outside of the windows, but it was torn down. The window was busted all over the place; glass fell outside...thankful for that.

We have had a stray dog (looks like part coyote) hanging around and I think that it might have been the first party to visit and torn the wire...might have ran off when the window broke. Then, the coon found the way inside.

There are coon tracks all over everything! In the feed room, on the feed sacks, some coon 'poop' too (nasty stuff).

I am going to start looking for some more rabbits. I am putting a electric fence around the barn.

4. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your bunny. I sure hope she gets better.

5. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your doe! Thats my biggest fear of having them outside in the hutches..is that SOMETHING is going to get them..I read in a book one that human urine keeps them away..I think it works...if you get my drift..if you have a catch trap you might wanna set it...We have caught many-a-coons with the catch traps...I hope you get the bugger!!!
    AJ

6. Tarot Farm

That is just it...the rabbbits are in the 'rabbit barn' and not outside. They would not last 12 hours outside in cages. The rabbit barn is where I also have my incubators at. The only one that had eggs in was the one that got the windows tore out....the critter is very smart!

I have secure doors, storm windows with 2 X 1 inch welded wire over them outside of the windows and they still get in! :grit:

I also found coon tracks on the front door to my house! The porch door has tattletale coon prints on it too; just inside is where the bantam is with the chicks.

I am thinking about getting myself a really loud dog...my Beagle is just too old to care anymore; he is also trained not to run coon or deer...LOL

7. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I've seen the havoc that dogs can do to rabbits in their hutches. Many years ago I lost two rabbits due to broken necks when a dog pulled the wire off the hutch and the rabbits tried to escape. Fortunately it was only one cage and two rabbits, not the other cages with 3 other rabbits.

I was only 14 but I told the guy "Jimmy if you don't keep your dog away from my rabbits I ~will~ shoot him" Jimmy knew I had access to a .22 rifle and knew I knew how to use it and would. :mad:

The dog was a long legged boxer and very capable of using a lot of pulling strength to pop the wire off. I just happened to go out there and see him running off (still real close to the rabbits) after he put those rabbits down. This dog lived at least 8 blocks away and had never been seen in our yard before, and as a matter of fact, never again.

It's too bad you don't know what critter did the deed but I really doubt it was the raccoon. They're dexterous but not as strong as a good sized canine.

It seems we try to do the best for our critters and some other critter comes along and teaches us new tricks, unfortunately, the hard way for us. :grit:

8. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I am SO sorry to hear about your doe! Is there ANY possibility that the babies might still be in there? i hope that she is fine, and that hopefully the babies are still in there. I will be praying for your doe, and for her babies, and that that racoon gets whats coming to him :viking: . See ya.

9. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

Tarot- hope she is ok and can deliver her babies safely.

An aside regarding dogs- when my youngest nephew lived with me he wanted a rabbit, so we got him one. It was kept in a huge hutch under the lean to tractor shed. The second day we had the rabbit I happened to look out the window early in the morning and saw two strange dogs- a beagle and something else, can't remember. But, they were working their way along the fenceline towards the barn- I realized the darn beagle had scented that rabbit. The dogs had never been on my property before, and all of a sudden they were coming over every morning. I should have shot them, but we got rid of the rabbit instead.

10. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

This is terrible news, and I'm sorry to hear it. May I suggest a large Livestock Guardian type of dog? I'm fortunate to have two Great Pyrenees, and they allow NOTHING on the property that isn't properly introduced - by me!

I do hope your doe will be okay. I know you were so looking forward to the Christmas bunnies.

NeHi Mama

11. Sara in IN

Sara in IN Well-Known Member

Tarot,

We had raccoon "vandals" visit us this month, too. The buggers ripped feeders off of a couple of cages, hauled the rabbits out - we never found the carcasses, killed several more rabbits, then the coons ate a gallon of rolled oats, scattered the contents of several shelves, sampled a jug of insecticide granules and then the coons polished off six boxes of D-con rat poison for dessert.

Due to their high culinary standards, I don't think we will have to worry about a repeat performance from that tribe of raccoons, but the sheer destruction raccoons can create is amazing.

We were looking to replace most the rabbits we lost, two elderly bucks and a couple of cull does as they were no longer good breeding stock, but it was a shock opening the door to a throughly trashed rabbit shed.

Sara in IN

12. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Hi , Sorry to hear about the coon and I can gaurantee that it was coon. Coons are nasty and will do anything to get to what they want. 2 weeks ago I lost 6 birds, Muscovy Duck was one of them. To a coon. Very large coon. he broke a peice of chipboard tat was blocking a hole. He can in and got what he wanted. I ahd a live trap outside of the hole and he set it off and put his fingers in the wire trap holes and ate the bait. I wouldn't be surprised that it was a coon, the place where I got my last 2 rex bucks from sold 2 other rabbits to a lady and a coon came in a killed one of them, they killed the coon when it came back.

I for got to say, we didn't kill this coon ( we lost 25 birds this summer and trapped 3 coons, all we trapped and shot. They were killing to much and we were just loosing money everytime one was killed. This was all in the barn) :mad: I brought my dog down to the barn and let him smell out where the coon was jsut in case he was still in the barn, I let him go around the outside and inside, plugged the hole. The Coon never came back in, I don't know if the coon just can't get in or if it had to do with my dog being there?

I cross my fingers for you, and your doe and hope he never comes back.

Melissa

13. Tarot Farm

I had the most wonderful Pyr that anyone could ever ask for. He stopped the gas theives, the prowlers (two and four footed) without any questions.
    My neighbor who finally moved...poisoned him. I cried so much over that. I would not ever had these problems if he was still alive. I said that I did not want it to ever happen to another dog again, so I did not get another Pyr.
    I used to have so much fun with my Pyr in the snow! He was so playful and not your regular Pyr! Lots of fun!

14. Tarot Farm

I just went outside to bring in some firewood (starting to rain here) and I seen a soon run off from the back door! I am going to watch for him tonight and keep checking the barn and farm for the critter. This one is really big, must be what my dad called a 'big boar'. If I catch it near the barn...it is a goner. Same for that stray canine. :D

15. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean. We had someone poison our Pyr right before we moved. I cried a lot when we lost him as well. We are still looking for another one to replace him.

About the coons. I would set some traps, either live traps or not. But I would definately set traps. Coons always seem to show up after you have given up looking for them and have gone to bed.
    Good luck on getting them gone and I am sorry to hear about your rabbit. I hope she will be okay. Rabbits don't handle stress that well.

16. Tarot Farm

I checked her this morning and she 'might be' a bit better one one back leg; still dragging it though. Of course, it might be that I am just having flase hopes of seeing her get better too.

I am going to let her have some more time, as I do not want to loose the bunnies and she is still eating well, drinking and all of the necessary things.
    If she does deliver them, I can always raise more bunnies of the eye dropper; of course with it being winter they will have to stay in the house until it warms up.... :D

17. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry to hear about your Rabbit and Hatching eggs. I hope that the Doe recovers.

18. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Glad to hear that it seems that her one leg is getting a bit better. Good Luck, and I will continue to pray for you, bye.

19. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I'm sorry about your doe!!! We had a coon kill our two californias last August. You shoudl SEE what it did to those tough wooden hutchs!!! I'm not allowed to drive the truck when the trailer's attached anymore cause anytime I'm driving and see a coon on the side of the road I go "off roading". (Just ask Rachel...I kept mentioning just HOW MANY coons I saw on the roads on the way there). What I'd worry about is just WHAT was WRONG with that coon that it'd BREAK GLASS to get in!!!! I'm surprised that it didnt just open the incubator. We've lost quite a few eggs in the barn due to coons, but Ive never heard of one breaking glass. I'd get a live trap (you know...to hold it still till you can shoot it), or try poision (though most of us have too many things wandering around for poision). Do SOMETHING cause any coon that would break glass has something WRONG with it. you dont want it biting anything and getting them sick.

Good Luck!!!!

20. Dian

Dian Well-Known Member

If you do decide to keep the doe please look under her everyday. Long story but I had one only days from delivering do the same as yours, I don't know what injured her but she was eating and drinking. I waited, but didn't lift her because it seemed to cause her pain. I kept watching for any sign of her giving birth, but didn't see any. I had already ask my husband to put her down, a couple of days after her due date I went out and found her dead. When I removed her from the cage there were some dead babies under her. I think they had crawled under her to nurse and she couldn't get off them. She and the babies died. Rabbits can also get sores very quickly from laying in urine, I hope your doe gets better, but please keep a close watch on her. I don't want you to feel guilty like I did when I thought I was doing my best, but apparently it wasn't enough. Dian