Bad neighbors & disputed fences don't mix....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kenuchelover, Nov 10, 2006.

1. kenuchelover

kenuchelover Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061110/ap_on_re_us/oklahoma_shootings_5

The basic story is that two men (outside of Tulsa a ways) had been feuding over a fenceline for many years.... the guy who DIDN'T own the fence claimed the fence was 10' inside his property line, and finally took a tractor & started ripping up the posts without permission.

The fence owner took a gun and shot/killed the neighbor, the neighbor's son, and a friend of their's who happened to be with them..... then he shot & killed himself just as police arrived.

Police had showed up earlier, and said it was a matter for the courts to decide....

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

shot himself?
    kinda ruins the point of shooting the problem neighbor doesnt it??

3. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

I saw that on the news last night. What a mess..... I really thought that it was ironic that the sheriff dept had been out already and declined to get involved. I have friends who live in that area.
    A new survey may have been expensive but it would have been a dang sight cheaper than four funerals! I am just sick for their families.
    Tana Mc

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I had a neighbor one time taking out my Fence with a Bobcat.I took after him with a Ballbat :hobbyhors

big rockpile

5. kenuchelover

kenuchelover Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure a new survey would have been needed.... the legal description might have given enough data so that they could have measured from various points & gotten to the truth of the matter.

What gets me is how another neighbor described the guy who was out ripping up HIS neighbor's fence as being a "sweet" man who'd never harm anyone.

But I think the police REALLY fell through on this one.... the shooter might not have had the money for a survey or a lawsuit (was I wrong, or was he an elderly man using a riding lawnmower as a motorized wheelchair?). Why didn't they talk to the neighbor & warn HIM not to damage the fence without legal permission?

6. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

About 15 years ago, my brother and his freind bought a peice of land from my step father. The freind was tearing up the road into my brothers place.
    after figuring out that the road was accually my brothers, he asked his freind to build a new entrace to his place, and to quit using my brothers road.
    When the freind didn't my brother fenced off the road.
    They disputed it for quite awhle, arguing back and forth. Cops out there all the time.
    They had been to court that day and discovered my brother needed to move the fence 6 inches to be legal. when my brother went out to do it one after noon the freind came over there and shot and killed him. My brothers gun was found with no finger prints on it. So we have guessed the guy went to my brothers cabin and brought an extra gun out to make it look like my brother was armed. So he could say self defence.
    It is really sad what people get pushed into.

7. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

when our neighbors moved in few years ago, they tied onto our corner posts-i asked them nicely, if they would put in a brace post on their side, made them furious. next, for their crossfence, they tied onto ours between posts, just wired to it! after a few times unwiring it, i finally gave up-if neighbors dont have common courtesy, nothing much can be done.

8. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Some people will do anything to save the cost of a survey :shrug:

9. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I don't know. Police have to respond to neighbor disputes all the time. They can't be expected to know this guy was such a nutjob.

10. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Nut job or pushed to far? Anybody ever say how long the fence was there or why it was there?

11. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

These jerks were damageing this guys fence, they didnt diserve to die, but if its in question...the guys were asking for it by being so aggresiive.

12. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, that depends upon who was correct in re. the property line. If it was over the line then it was the property owners to do with as he pleased.

13. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

At one time according to Oklahoma law if a fence is put in place and allowed to stay for a certain set amount of time it becomes the property line. It does not have to be moved and destroying it is the same as destroying any ones fence.

14. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

That could be why he was tearing it out.........so it didn't become the legal property line.

15. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

SquashNut, that's terrible about your brother, I'm very sorry to hear about what happened.

I guess you never may know at what point someone is pushed too far and they snap. I've had issues with fence lines before, and it's not a question of getting a survey because the stakes are right there for anyone to see. The people just don't want to go with them! They want it the way they want it, and they can't really understand why it angers me to have them lawnmowing 20' of hay. Is it truly a huge deal? No, maybe not, but it grinds the living daylights out of you to see it year after year.

Jennifer

16. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

But the story says they were fueding for many years. When the fence was built would make the difference in the story.

17. palani

palani Well-Known Member

In some areas of the country they have what are called 'devils lanes'. Two property owners can't get along so they mutually agree to back off the property line several feet or so and each put up their own fence. I guess these things grow up into brambles and weeds.

In Iowa a fence that is up for 10 years becomes the property line. If it does not match the property description there is no way to make the party with unowned property on his side of the fence give up possession. However, he can't sell it because he doesn't have title to it and doesn't own it. Meanwhile the owner still has to pay property tax on it but can't get possession. Quite a conundrum.

18. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

According to the local news reports this feud had only been going for about 8 weeks. Unless something changed and I missed it 8 weeks isn't a long time.