Bad Luck-Just Our Luck!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by starwalker, Dec 3, 2005.

1. starwalker

starwalker Well-Known Member

Some of you all may remember that Rick and I have been on a farm/ house search for month's now. :rolleyes: Many disappointing open houses and private viewings. Nothing has come up we either can use or afford. We have been getting aggravated, upset and me about near tears at times in this hunt. :(

Low and behold a farm right across the street puts a sign out front. Right here at home! Big, new looking barn, an extra guest house, beautiful land scaping. Really nice house. I thought ....OMG, We can just move across the street!. Not so.(pouting) It's a "for rent" sign. :grump: I called the owner to see if they would be interested in selling. Nope. :grump:

So, of course my happiness was dumped on AGAIN. I have been hearing the owners fighting for month's now. All hours of the day and night. I figure d i v o r c e. They are wanting to rent the house out at 500.00 a month. I did leave my name and phone if they want to sell at some time in the future. ;)

Another day of dashed hopes we can find more room for us and our animals! AND, it looks like SNOW! :flame:

I did get an old man at the auto parts store say him and his wife are thinking of selling his 100 acre farm. I know the area very well. It's more land that mythological creatures can live and never be found in the vast ravines! I just can't win! lmao

2. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

Ooooh, do I understand! We spent the last almost 5 years searching for a hobby farm. We took this one because we loved the land and could afford it...but the house needs mucho work.

Hang in there, ya never know, maybe if they can't rent the property out or don't want to be bothered, they could end up selling it. If they divorce, no doubt selling is a better option, 'cause then they won't have to divy up the rental payments. That could become a difficult thing for them, especially once the rental house needs repairs.....their lawyers would probably tell them just to sell it.

The auto parts guy could end up selling his house, too, especially if he knows he might have a buyer (you). But be prepared to ask for an official assessment.....sometimes when people know they have an interested buyer, they will jack up the price. Know what you are paying for!

Good luck!

DD

3. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Oh dear....just hang in there ~ don't give up hope! I remember when we found *OUR* home I cried all the way home in the car because there was already an offer on the home. For reasons unknown, their financing fell through at the last minute and the home was ours. (We had written letters to the owners telling them how much we loved the homestead and how we appreciated its history, etc. in the slim chance that the first offer fell through - which it did!) We were lucky though - we didn't have much competition since not many individuals were looking to purchae an old farmhouse that hadn't been lived in for 3 years! :p

It will happen....we felt the same frustration. :rolleyes:

4. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I should be moivng into my new 12x30 cabin on 20 acres next weekend with any luck. This is after a year to find the land and a year to get a little clearing done and a hunting cabin put on it. We will have electric, God willing, but no running water just yet. I can't afford a well. We live for 1 1/2 yrs in 1 room at my sister's house and are living with a friend now. We've been here for 5 months. It will happen for you. Just keep the faith. The only hold up is something better is out there for you. :)

5. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

Keep looking! It took us forever to find this place, but it was worth it in the long run.

Stacy

6. starwalker

With Rick and I in our 40's now, 3 kids. One is on his own. somewhat :rolleyes: (23) 24 in January..... Another 19 year old son at home. Our biggest help around here! And mini-man of the house because Ricks a truck driver. He does the stuff around here that is either too heavy or complicated for me to do. And our 15 year old daughter. Which is my companion and a great help.

We actually looked at a place 2 weeks ago. We fell in love. THEN, we made the appointment to see the interior. Quickly we knew we couldn't use it because the bedrooms were WAY too small. Major renovation! There is no way to expand without hiring a company to expand the wings! The kitchen renovation was great by me. I would have loved doing the kitchen and bathrooms. The quotes we got were 50,000 at least more to replace the ends of the house and elongate the bedrooms. Thats not including the kitchen or baths!

12 acres of exactly the land for us. The outside was just "US". The kids loved the place until we went inside. Then they were very much...mom, we can fix it! Please buy it! The wood on the ends needs replaced. We had thought of log or local rock. Like a gnome home...lmao. 2 wings of it need the expansion. :( It looks huge but when you get inside it is a gnome home! I would have loved to make cute and functional gardens in between the 3 A's

Here's the pics....
    House

7. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

WHere are you looking at. Everything is for sale over here :)

8. starwalker

Jackson County, Putnam County and the Putnam County edges of Overton County.

9. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Might check out everything N of Pikeville on 127.up toward Fentress county :cowboy:

10. starwalker

May just do it.
    I just got word from my son. He contacted the guy about renting. The guy told me 500.00 a month. He just offered it to my son at 400.00 a month...total horses grits! (he didn't know it was my son)

Also, if it's the same person acting like a total fool I've been hearing for the last month. He's very unbalanced. I think I'd rather have my son find another place. :eek:

11. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

hey starwalker get someone from even farther away to call you might find out it really is for sale. :D

Kenneth in NC

12. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Lots of paces go up for rent because the owners are in limbo & don't know what they are going to do, especially if it may be a divorce situation.

If it's just right for you & yours - you can take a chance & rent. Do it with an option to buy if the owners decide to sell in the future. Decide now on the price. $400.00 a month. Boy, I'd rent it, then sublease it if it was here & make money.