Bad Knees

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by Laura Zone 5, Mar 11, 2017.

1. CountryMom22

CountryMom22 Well-Known Member

I've been wondering how you're doing Laura? Hope you have found some relief for those knees. I've been dealing with bad knees for years. Done the cortisone and Euflexa for the last 18 months, which gets me some relief. Didn't realize just how bad the pain was until it was gone. I just got used to being in constant pain. But I know I'm looking at replacements sooner rather than later. I've been trying to put it off as long as possible, but I'm beginning to come around to the idea that I would rather be pain free now while I'm still young enough to get back to doing the things I love, even if it means that I'll have to have them replaced more than once. Problem is, I'm only 52 and I've heard that the pain is way worse when you have to replace a replacement. And since they only last 10-15 years with a very active person, I know I'll be replacing the replacements if I'm lucky enough to live that long.

But I'm definitely coming around.

2. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Better hurry up, then. If you wait too long, there can be too much damage done to repair fuly. In addition, as you age, doctors will decide that your age AND any existing health conditions are unfavorable for the surgery and refuse to do it. Then too, there's the current recipe for a health care melt down..... They may decide that repairing knees on a 50 year old is good, older than that, a waste of money.

Mon

CountryMom22 likes this.

3. Bellyman

Bellyman Well-Known Member

BioKnee or something similar, maybe?

4. topofmountain

topofmountain Well-Known Member

I'm in my late 60s & I have friends in their late 70s that have had replacement knees for 15-20 years & are still going strong The key is to get in shape before & staying in shape & after the surgery do what the PTs tell you. I went to the gym a month before surgery rode a bike & did weight training. Many get their knees replaced & can't deal with the short term pain after the surgery which is less than the daily pain I'm sure your dealing with now. At least that was my case. I'm hoping to get my other knee done in Nov of this year. Its was tough surgery mentally for me, but I was determined to get better asap. I had full range of movement within 3 weeks, The doctor & PT were just amazed. I can even get on my knees if I need to. I just have to be careful getting down.

I interviewed Drs & hospitals before finding a retired Navy Orthopedic Surgeon at a hospital that I had been in before.

To be honest I have to give the Lord all the credit for my recovery & finding the right Dr & hospital. All I did was do the footwork & wait on him. It took a year to get it done from when I started looking for the right dr.

CountryMom22 likes this.
  5. mekasmom

mekasmom Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sorry you are in pain, Laura. I know how much pain my husband has from his knees. Steroids do wonders. Knee Replacement is always an option, but HONESTLY, I have seen nobody who has been completely satisfied with their results. My husband does steroid shots on both hips and knees four times a year. He prefers to alternate Hip/knees/hip/knees every six weeks. That way there are always fresh steroids coming into the body. They will only do each joint every 12weeks, so you can alternated doing one then the other every six weeks. Oral Dex does wonders too, but there is a limit on how much you can take. Dexamethazone works better than Prednisone, but most doctors try to push you to use prednisone. I understand the reasoning, but pain should be controlled. Steroids actually control pain better than any pain killer.

6. mekasmom

mekasmom Well-Known Member Supporter

I do want to add that using multiple steroids and high dose steroids raise the risk of cancer and other disease. You just have to weigh risk versus benefit. Life has to be worth living, you know? So does the benefits outweigh the added risk? I guess it depends on your age and health.

I do

CountryMom22 and newfieannie like this.
  7. newfieannie

newfieannie newfieannie Supporter

I guess it all depends on what shape you're in when you get the replacement. Andrew had his in his 80's. he suffered for years. then after he could do most things he did before. he got up and down in the garden as well as I did. for the pain in his arm he had the cortisone shot. that lasted until he passed which was years later.

Laura is working as a bartender I believe or waitress or both. now I work like a man too. but it's different work . if I want to stop anytime I can. I don't but I can. my son's friend's wife did the same thing. she's all crippled up now. several more he knows . same line of work. had to quit. ~Georgia

8. CountryMom22

I have an extraordinarily high pain threshold, so I'm not worried about the pain during recovery. I'm worried about taking time off from work for recovery as I'm self employed. The doc said if I can do most of my work sitting, which I could, I should only be out for 3-4 weeks. I'm already in the gym 5-6 days a week and weight lifting too, so that part of recovery wouldn't be strange to me. Just have to see how things go, I guess! Right now, with the cortisone and Euflexa alternating and taking glucosamine daily, I consider myself functional. What bothers me is the instability in the left knee. I never know when I'll take a bad step and feel like the bottom half of my leg is being pulled off. Working out definitely helps with that as I'm working to strengthen the ligaments around my knees. Currently, I'm able to walk 2-3 miles a few times a week as well, so something is working!

Hope you've found some relief Laura. My best to everyone!

9. haley1

haley1 Well-Known Member

Countrymom, Do you know what is actually wrong with your knees? With describing instability just wondering if it is the joint or ligaments/tendon around it. Kinesiology Tape may help stabilize your knee, I use use it when my MCL acts up. If you do need a joint replacement it sounds like you may heal well since you keep yourself in good shape, build the leg muscles before surgery as that helps recovery.
    good luck

topofmountain and CountryMom22 like this.
  10. CountryMom22

I have almost no cartilidge left in my knees, with some bone spurs as well. I'll look into the tape. Anything that can help! Thanks.

11. haley1

haley1 Well-Known Member

Yes the tape helps with stability but sadly sounds like you might be looking into new joint some time in your future. But by your keeping the legs strong like you do will greatly improve your recovery.
    I also have not much cartilage left and the joint is "sloppy" so at times I strain my mcl and the tape helps a lot.

As stated above my my dad had both replaced at 81 but he was strong and active so his recovery was good and fast . I am lucky to have old parents that act and look 30 years younger then they are

topofmountain and CountryMom22 like this.
  12. CountryMom22

Yeah, I've already made my peace with the idea of surgery, just trying not to do it too soon. As long as I can do what I want, within reason. Don't think I'll be running any 10Ks, but I'm ok with that!

13. topofmountain

topofmountain Well-Known Member

I'm completely satisfied with my knee replacement. As for recovery I was way better than before the replacement within a week. I worked hard getting back into shape before surgery. I was told if I worked out prior to surgery I would be far ahead with recovery. I weight trained & rode a bike. I'm not young.
    Its getting your mind right & getting ready for hard work. The PT & Doctor were just amazed at how quickly I recovered. I'm hoping to get the other one done in Dec. I'm sorry I waited so long.

14. How Do I

How Do I Once I was seven years old

Were/are you on any other prescribed medications leading up to this? Perhaps for something even unrelated? If so, you might want to check the prescription insert for adverse reactions, even rare. They might not be as rare as you're led to believe. The second most commonly prescribed high blood pressure medication can cause arthrosis. Some people might write that off as "overworking their bodies" (their doctors may as well ;) - "do you want me to write you a prescription for that too?" ), when in fact it is the prescription medicine causing that. Do most people ever read those things anyway, before they toss them in the trash? Just something for you to think about if you were on prescription medication leading up to this. Or anyone else, for that matter.

topofmountain likes this.