Bad Knees

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by Laura Zone 5, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Laura Zone 5

Laura Zone 5 Shut the front door! Supporter

IMG_2939.JPG

After 2 x-rays and 1 MRI, my left knee is in bad shape, and my right knee is not much better.

Arthritis, gout, small tear in the meniscus, and the 'cushion' in the joint that keeps the bones from grinding together is not only worn thin, but has calcium deposits in the tissue.
    Yep, hot mess.

Cause?

Doc says "Laura, you've worked like a man all your life, 45-55 hours a week on your feet (with (2) 13 hour days in that week) you are wearing your parts out".

Laura says "Doc, it's just me. there is no second income in the home"

Doc says "You are looking at knee replacement if you don't stop".

SO I have questions:

1. What can I do 'naturally' to combat arthritis?

2. What can I take to help the 'cushion' in my joints stay 'cushion-y"?

3. Along with ice and rest, what can I do to bring down the swelling?

I will see my PT monday (2 bulging discs in my neck, because of work) and have her build me a plan to strengthen the muscles around my knees to protect the bones.

2. farmrbrown

farmrbrown nobody

Have you tried using OTC braces, like the stretchy kind that provide support when you're injured?
    My left knee is still a better forecaster of incoming low pressure systems than the computer satellites the weathermen use, LOL, but the warmth and support of a knee brace can keep me going on a bad day.

MoBookworm1957 likes this.

3. Laura Zone 5

Laura Zone 5 Shut the front door! Supporter

Right now, the swelling is so bad, if I brace it, it will push the fluid and cause more problems.
    Once I get the swelling down, I will have the doc prescribe a brace to protect it, but I am really wanting to do what I can to prevent another issue like I have now.

I am off work for 10 days, and that's no good. If I don't work, I don't eat.

4. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member Supporter

The thing I did with my bad knees,made muslin rice,bags with lavender in them. Heat in microwave for about 3 minutes,cover in flannel or small towel. Place on either side of knee. Place on wedge to elevate, so swelling will go down. Alternate heat with ice.

SueBee and COSunflower like this.
  5. RLStewart

RLStewart Well-Known Member

My knees and most of my other joints actually, aren't the best. I take quite a few supplements to try to keep them going. Its hard to know what might help you the most but I think it would be worth trying something. There are joint supplements that have several ingredients or you can buy individual ones to test what might help. I think MSM and Hyaluronic Acid are the ones that help me the most. Also there are some anti-inflammatory ones like turmeric and tart cherry. I'm currently trying a new one that is collagen from chicken sternums. ;) My brother says its helped his bad shoulder quite a bit.

6. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Try a good bioactive curcumin supplement. It's the stuff in tumeric that does the work. That will help with inflammation. Kill the inflammation, reduce the swelling and diminish the pain.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  7. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Glucosamine chondroitin helps many people but not everybody. It either works or it doesn't. You can buy it at a Walgreens.

Basically it gives cartilage the nourishment that it need to rebuild itself. That means it also nourishes the cartilage in your knees.

Also, this site sells a truly excellent salve! http://thehennery.blogspot.com/. DH swore by it: he used it until his knee got so bad that he could no longer put off knee replacement.

Darren likes this.
  8. kyweaver

kyweaver Well-Known Member

I feel like you've told us your occupation; I apologize for not remembering.
    Can your employer accommodate to any degree? They may be required by law to provide reasonable accommodation if you have a doctor's note.

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I must toss in my two cents....try a knee replacement ...you will be amazed~

10. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

My friend kept getting the shots for about 3 years. Final failed to be able to return home after a walk on his own two feet and got his first new knee 2 weeks ago and is planning on the second one soon.

I am so glad I got mine done will soon be a year on the first one. I can now walk down hills with out pain climb up and downstairs normally and do not creak and crack when getting out of a chair.

:D Al

11. haley1

haley1 Well-Known Member

Do them both at the same time. You will be glad you did.

12. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

My girlfriend did that, two at once. I can only imagine how miserable i would be without one pain free knee to get around on while the surgery one healed up.

bluhollow-lady and COSunflower like this.
  13. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

I ran into more unhappy people who had both done at the same time than I did who were happy they did both at once when I was asking around.

:D Al

COSunflower and Laura Zone 5 like this.
  14. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Well-Known Member Supporter

Try turmeric pills that contain piperine or bioperine. It won't cure you, but it might help. I use it for my shoulders.

1 or 2 drops of Essential Oils Peppermint mixed in a quarter size amount of aloe vera gel, rubbed on the knees might help. It helps me, but I do not have anywhere near the problems you have with your knees.

MoBookworm1957 and Laura Zone 5 like this.
  15. FarmerJoe

FarmerJoe Well-Known Member

I use Turmeric for inflammation. When I had a stress fracture in my heel and my whole leg was swollen, I had to keep the leg wrapped and elevated to help push the swelling out.

MoBookworm1957 and Laura Zone 5 like this.
  16. haley1

haley1 Well-Known Member

My dad had both of his done at the same time when he was 81, hospital for 3 days and did therapy same day he had them done. Bunch of others in there that also had both done. Had used a walker for 2 weeks and then a cane for 2 more then off he was. 2 years later and now he is up and down hills emptying maple sap bags and carrying 2 five gallon pails like he is a teenager again. He knows lots of others that did both at same time and are happy they did not have to go through it twice.
    Dr told him the people who come out best are the active ones. The ones that are lazy and watch TV and complain all day are the worst as they don't want to to therapy or help themselves get better.

17. pointer33

pointer33 Well-Known Member

Well, I do not log in to reply too often but I thought I ought to share my experience on this one. I have tried hyaluronic acid and glucosamine supplements....I think the HA that is enteric coated to protect from stomach acid is best....neither one helped me much unless I was consistent for at least a month....I had both knees scoped due to injuries...but only about 30-40% on each meniscus was cut out to get the tears...I think....but over time I developed knees that hurt all of the time...arthritis...etc....I did not like to get on the floor...it hurt to get up and it hurt to deal with stairs....not crippled but I could see where it was going in a decade or so.....now I eat a much better diet....sleep more...and what I want to mention is a product called astaxanthin....specifically bioastin.....I read about it in a newsletter from a cost share health program, it is a very powerful antioxidant I believe derived from a type of algae....I read what I could about it and bought off amazon from the company that did much of the research....I am terrible at being regular with supplements but I think it contributed to my knees being much better....can do deep knee bends regularly now in my job with rare hint of discomfort. BTW synthetic astaxanthin is used to make farmed salmon orange I think...yuk....not the right stuff....also I think my iliotibial band on the side of my leg being too tight chronically set me up for some of the knee problems too. anyway, hope that was not too jumbled to be helpful.

copperhead46, COSunflower and Terri like this.
  18. Murby

Murby Well-Known Member

I have a problem with my left knee too...

Life... its a preexisting condition..

Your "doc" is an idiot..

Its not about stopping.. its about working smarter to take the stress off your joints. As for me, the cause was jumping off the tractor twenty times a day instead of using the step to gently step down. Now, when I go up, my right leg (good knee) goes first.. and when I go down, I use the step and my good knee supports my weight until the left extended leg has gently landed.

Not much.. other than the obvious "take it easy on it"

My doctor was an idiot too. (yes, I'm being flippant) Not educated in the type of medicine required for this kind of problem.. So I went to see an orthopedic surgeon.. One single visit to his office, he took two x-rays then came back into the office with a syringe and needle the size of a freaking telephone pole.. He said "I'm going to suck the fluid out of your knee".. to which I replied.. If you stick that telephone pole in me, I'm going to stick it in your eyeball! To which he replied "you have a bad knee, I can outrun you!"
    So he numbed up my knee with some (ether?) and stuck the telephone pole into me and sucked out what looked like two or three shot-glasses full of liquid... then he disconnected the syringe, (but left the damn telephone pole inside me), and hooked up another syringe with Cortisone and injected it. Hurt like hell for five minutes and then the pain subsided to a level below what it was when I walked in to his office.

About three days later, my knee was feeling like it was as good as new.. the Coritisone really did its thing.

Its been two months and I'm still fine.. I have just changed the way I do things. When I go down the stairs carrying heavy stuff, I keep the weight off my left side the best I can. I don't jump off the tractor anymore and I don't put heavy stress on my left knee... and all is well.

How Do I and CountryMom22 like this.
  19. DryLandFish

DryLandFish Member

I second the curcumin and MSM. I had some bouts of inflammatory arthritis that caused some damage to my knees and other joints. But I really feel the knees at times. MSM did nothing until I upped the dose to 6g a day. Very safe stuff, so high dose is not an issue. Also, stretching and some functional yoga helped a me a lot. Good luck!

20. topofmountain

topofmountain Well-Known Member

I tried about everything to help my knees with no real successful results. I fought knee replacement for two years. In fact to the point I could barely walk. Finally I decided I had no other choices. So in May I found an Orthopedic Surgeon I really liked a former Naval Orthopedic surgeon. (He was the 4th doctor I had met with.) I had the first knee replaced. I'm sorry now I didn't do it earlier. I'm 67 years old & I'm pain free & working hard at rebuilding my strength. In Oct or Nov I will have the other one done. I have to say I was scared to death facing surgery. Not knowing what might happen. I had heard all the horror stories. Along with a lot of good. I finally had to give it to the Lord & he carried me through with great results. Its a personal decision that only you can make. But if the doctors are saying replacement or hinting at that don't do what I did & waste time putting off a long term solution.

CountryMom22 likes this.