Bad knees /joints?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Queen Bee, May 12, 2005.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have bad knees?? How do you deal with them?? I have a knee that I had surgery on about 6yrs ago. (I had an abcess behind the knee cap) and It still swells and gives me a fit. I can't squat down for any lenght of time... Just wanted to know if you do certain exercises or weights or herbals that help.. Thanks so much.. Debbie

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Glucosamine sulfate at the rate of 500 mg. of active ingredient per 50 lbs. of body weight will work wonders. A decent source of the product at www.A1Nutritionals.com This was from an article by Paul Harvey and it works. You cannot be sensitive to seafood and take the glucosamine. Try it for 2 weeks and see for yourself!

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I have severe arthritis, fluid and a large cyst in one knee. A cortisone shot brought me from a lot of Advil and hobbling around to moving like there's nothing wrong.

4. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I had steriod shots in both needs. That helped the pain, but only last about 3 months.

5. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Agmantoo, Have you tried this? Has it worked?

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I take Glucosamine sulfate for the arthritis in my knees. It helps a great deal...when I remember to take it daily. The brand I buy is Osteo Biflex. My dog also takes it for his damaged joints.

I was on Bextra until all the investigation started. Yesterday the doctor put me on Arthrotec 75. I can already tell a difference! I do believe that after a few days on this I will be feeling much, much better.

By the way, the doctor said yesterday that squating was the WORST thing I could do to my knees (not that I could squat anyway).

7. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,

I have been taking Glucosamine & Chondroiton for the last 6 years.
    I could not get up the stairs, here in the house without it.
    My hips simply would freeze up & quit working.

I started taking it because I saw a little article about it on TV.
    At about the same time we got a couple big oversize Doberman pups.
    When we took them to the Vet, for their first exam, he said,
    "These are going to be big boys and big dogs frequently have hip
    & arthritis problems. I recommend you get them on Glucosamine
    & Chondroiton from the start."

So I asked if it helps. He answered in the affirmative.
    I said "What about big Folks?"
    So he told me to give it a try.
    In my late Fifties, I was already having a little trouble with
    stairs. My hips were a bit stiff, slow to work & painful.

It takes about 3 or 4 Weeks of taking it every day, to get it
    into your system & give a good effect. I can only tell if it is
    working "If I Quit". And, I am Not Going to quit.
    It really helps me! !'m 6'1" & 250#.
    I take 4 caplets a day of 500mg.

About 3 years ago We went for a 2 1/2 week vacation.
    I forgot to take along my Glucosamine & Chiondroiton.
    When I got back, I couldn't hardly drag myself up those
    old stairs. It took me only about a week & a half to get
    it built up again.

I highly recommend it. I know several other Folks that
    after taking it awhile would not be without it.
    To Me it is Worth Every Penny!!!
    Remember, it does NOT work over night.Study up on it!
    Good Luck!

8. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Sam-e...a wonder worker. Works for mood but also excellent for joints....in about 30 days you will see a marvelous difference in mobility and pain. It has worked wonders for my husband's bony knees...refuses surgery. The Walmart brand is good; can also ofen buy it buy one/get one free at Walgreens. Or thru vitamin catalogs. Husband finally got his 86 year old mom to try it and has improved her chronic neck pain.DEE

9. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi Debbie;
    Sorry about your kness. I have arthritis in my knees. I tore both knees out of socket in the 1970's on different occassions. I was an athlete and a tennis player. Anyway, My knees swell up so badly that I cannot bend them very well and it feels as though there is something foreign shoved under my knee cap. Over the years I tried many things. The ONLY thing that gives me relief is evening primrose oil. I take 2-3 capsules 2 times a day. Take it with food especially if you are prone to stomach ulcers. It takes 2-3 weeks to feel results.
    Also, I know this is hard; exercise. I know the cycle all too well. You exercise and have pain so you stop exercising and the knee hurts less but is so stiff and you have very little flexibility. The knees mUST be exercised daily. Preferably, low to no impact aerobics. I hAD to join a gym where they have an elliptical trainer. This machine allows an aerobic workout with little to no impact on the knees. The treadmills hurt my knees and the stepping devices and machines made things worse. I've been using the elliptical for a week now and I can actually bend my right knee. Also, I have found that dairy exaccerbates the situation. So I eat little to no dairy products.
    WEight is an issue. The more one weighs the more stress on the knees. If you lose even 5 lbs. your knees won't hurt as much. Unless you are 90 lbs dripping wet the 5 pound weight loss shouldn't hurt your health. Just do it slowly and safely.
    I wish you well.
    tamilee

10. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Glucosamine/Chondroitin rocks! I take 1500 Gl. and 1200 Chon. per day, also take a magnesium/malic acid combo and 3000 mg. of MSM for pain. I have osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia, and others that are afflicted with this are amazed at how pain free and busy and active I am able to stay. But if I miss a few days of my 'meds' I feel it IMMEDIATELY, so have to give credit where credit is due!

hollym

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Gary to your question Agmantoo, Have you tried this? Has it worked?
    The answer is absolutely and positively a BIG YES. I had an accident that shattered my left heel. The Doc said Humpty Dumpty could not put it together again. The heel healed in a knarled mess/mass. I continued to limp around until I damaged my knees to the point I was nearly passed going. I have since had surgery to help with the heel. Prior to the heel injury I was carrying some extra weight which I lost in attempt to get more ambulatory. The weight loss down to 180 with a height of 5' 11" gave no relief. I have held the weight down but I was desperate to get relief. I had a Viox prescription but would not take it due to the side effects. Then I heard that there was a natural substance that would give arthritis relief. It was out of desperation that I started taking the glucosamine. There are a number of things that I get slack on from time to time. Forgetting the glucosamine is not one of them. I have shared this info with others and I have been amazed at the feedback I have received as to how beneficial it was to some people. Go to the web site I posted and there is a nice writeup on the product. That site is also the source for the best price I have found as you can get 270 capsules containing 500 MG. of active ingredient for $21. Do not try to skimp on the amount taken, follow the instructions. You will like the results!

12. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

same as everyone here. Glucosamine chondritin 2000 mg.
    tnborn

13. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Thank you for the info! I just got a bottle of it and hadn't taken any yet. My knee hurts so bad that I have to sleep on the sofa as I cannot come down the stairs at night to use the potty. I'm going to start it right now.

14. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Start on some Jarrow brand Sam-e. You can find it on the internet the cheapest. Take like, 400 mg per day.

15. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

My ostropedic surgeon said he only recommends two brands of Glucosamine chondritin. One is Osteo-Biflex (which I have to get a local pharmasy to order for me) and one with Double Strength in the title (can't find old bottle). He said he has seen several reports which said they are the only two brands which consistently have the ingredients listed.

16. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Kroger and Wal Mart carry Osteo-Biflex.

17. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Glucosamine and chondroitin are for cartlidge and arthritis problems. It doesn't sound like your knee has that kind of damage from what you describe. I have arthritis in both hips and one knee. I tried the G/C and really didn't see any improvement. My knee required surgey to clean up the cartlidge and also had to have a cyst removed. The cyst formed because of my delay in taking care of the cartlidge problem and became the bigger problem and the bigger surgery as they had to open my knee up instead of just arthroscopic surgery. Part of the cause of the delay was trying G/C and other remedies when I had a tear in the cartlidge that nothing was going to fix except surgery.

18. wormlady

wormlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I take Glucosamine also. And I drink 1T. apple cider vinegar and 1/2 T. honey in 4 oz hot water twice a day.
    But what helps me most is being a good girl and staying away from sugar.
    I notice a big difference in knee pain when I'm not eating sweets.
    Sometimes I'm willing to suffer knee pain tho' for love of chocolate.

19. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

wormlady,
    you have a good point. I notice a difference when i drink many cokes/pepsis. I have also noticed that if I eat red meat it makes the pain worse. why? i do not know. Maybe someone that understands why can explain it. Diet has something to do with the extent of pain. Certain foods increases the pain.
    tnborn