Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold two of my kids this weekend to a couple who wanted them for pets.I had spoken with the woman several times and she was very excited about getting the kids. I had put a brief add on a goat board and have had several hits on it. It said Boer Goats.
The last time I spoke with her I should have been tipped off to the fact that she wanted smaller goats. I told her how much one of my adult does weighed and that I wasn't quite sure it would fit well in her CRV. It still hadn't sunk into my thick head.They were driving about 2 hours to come and pick them up.
They pulled up in their small SUV on Sat. Nice people! The wife was still excited about the goats but the DH was less than enthusiastic. (I also think he was put off by the fact we live in a doublewide) Sold my Mc-mansion to have land.
Any way they selected two babies one was still on the bottle, he was one of my favorites(I know Jim I shouldn't get attached).I let the doe go for about 1/2 what I would normally . I had wormed,and given CDT to them. The new owners were sent home with instructions, feed and some written material.I just feel that DH thinks some how he was being taken. I have not heard from them and as excited as the woman was I at least expected to hear they had gotten home okay. :shrug:
Maybe its a good sign ?

·
Premium Member
16,016 Posts
If they are new to goats I don't see anything wrong with contacting them and asking how everything is going and if they have any questions you might be able to answer.

It could just be that no news is good news.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
I always feel bad somehow when I sell goats because I don't see how anyone can possibly love them as much as I do. But I have found this not to be true. There is a certain "guilt" associated with sending away a goat we have rasied and bonded with as they are such intelligent little creatures. I feel a bit nauseated right now as I prepare to sell a few right now. Know that if you raise goats and allow them to multiply, you must find new homes for them, eat them or have lots of room and money to keep them all. Ultimately, they are livestock although they are many times raised as pets. Feel good that you did your part getting them off to a good start and that your heart is tender enough to care.

I would not hesitate at all to call those folks again and see how the goats are doing.....and BTW, I am happy to be land rich and house poor, double-wides ROCK!

·
Ages Ago Acres Nubians
2,609 Posts
I know exactly how you are feeling Christy. Sometimes people who are buying kids, come and you feel GREAT about them, sometimes...no so much. I've had *sellers* remose on more then one ocassion. This past spring I sold a yearling buck to some folks that I just didn't quite feel right about....BUT... we keep running into them at the feedstore. (they talked me out of a buck that I had planned on keeping & using) Vinny is at least still alive and loving the ladies.... I however cringe everytime I see their truck there.. I just know one of these days the tale won't be so happy. I'm also afraid they'll want me to buy him back. NO WAY, not with everything he's now be exposed to :Bawling:
susie, mo ozarks

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the lady just called me back.They don't have cell phone service at their new farm and no phone yet.The goats are being babied,her husband has even been bottle feeding them and gave them both a bath.She said they have a 1600 sq ft barn that was going to be a guest house all to themselves.
Sounds like these will be pampered pets for sure .
I guess it was just "adoption anxiety".Shoot even their goats don't live in a doublewide :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts