bad ear

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jun 5, 2004.

1. I have a little pig we just weaned (about 35 pounds or so) that has an ear that is swollen completely full of fluid. I have lanced it and drained it twice then sprayed with wound spray but it just swells back up. Any other ideas on what to do? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Travis

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Ole Tommy had a dog who's ear was like that, Vet said it was from a bite ,And it would justshrivel up if left alone I used to inject the dog with Combiotic 3 times aday then after the first day 1 time ,Dose was /is based on weight. A vet will work on the ear but unless its a Million Dollar show pig the ear will heal on its own,Vet said its a minor vessel nipped and the drainage is a good thing.As it will only fill so much then stop .Just watch the pig for infection though.

3. thanks j.d.
    I was thinking the same thing. Just let it heal.
    Travis

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

We use pharmaceutical grade 10% sulfa for everything from scrapes, burns, and wounds we get to anything any of my animals get. It is a powder you sprinkle on to cover the site. You can't buy this grade in the U.S. but if it is for any animal just buy the fish tablet sulfa meds in the pet store and sprinkle it on the site. The stuff works. We've used it for a dozen years and don't rely on anything else.