Bad Day

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Farmer Willy, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Doe killed all 5 of her young, 4 days out. It sucks. Maybe she'll do better next time.

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

That really does suck, Farmer Willy.

But I am wondering... killed them HOW? Killed and ate? Killed because spooked by something? Bodies damaged and if so how? Or just dead?

I remember not too far back someone lost a litter in similar circumstances and blamed the doe... only to find out that it was something else. Can't remember the details, unfortunately.

Also, if the kits bodies were intact, perhaps she was not feeding them. A little different than actually killing them.

Just some thoughts. Hope things go better next time.

3. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Blood on a board in her cage (a seat off the wire), one with its ear missing, one with a bloody eye, all inside the nest box with a lot of the fur/straw gone. Plus a guilty look in her eye---oh yea, she's the culprit alright. This was her first litter so chalking it off to inxperience. As far as not feeding, they were looking fat and sassy yesterday morning, been a pain to keep her in water during this cold snap. My only guess is something spooked her.

4. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I admit it does sound bad for her... unless you have a weasel or rat about... or something that scared her stupid. It's just unusual to do such a thing after nurturing them for four days.

It sucks, no matter how you look at it. I had one young doe that kindled half her llitter on the wire and half in the nest box and then did not feed the survivors. I'd have given her a second chance but she was nervous by nature and had a tendency to sore hocks... just too many strikes against her when the rest of my does were mating, conceiving, kindling and nurturing effortlessly. At least they made it look effortless, bless them.