Bad daddy pig?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Mamoo2, May 20, 2020.

1. Mamoo2

Mamoo2 New Member

Hi everyone! I have a breeding pair of American guinnea hogs. They are one year and this is my first time doing pigs. I’m pretty sure ruby is pregnant- she showed signs of heat a couple times , and then the last time the heat signs never subsided.

The problem is, or maybe it’s not a problem, daddy pig is showing her interest every day and she wants to be left alone. He nudges and bumps her and tries to mount and she squeals and makes and aweful commotion. It will go on for up to 5 minutes many times a day. Once I even saw him biting her ear to contol her during a scuffle. She runs away is he doesn’t have her pinned to the ground, he follows and the commotion continues.

does this seem normal? Maybe the noise sounds worse than it is physically? I was told by a friend with this breed that the pair can be kept together, that the boar won’t eat the babies, they they are docile and friendly. But I’m a little worried.

Otherwise he is friendly and curious- although I do get the feeling he would knock me down and eat me if he got the chance...

I’ve considered that maybe he’s bored- I have limited space, no pasture for them but a nice big pen. They get hay and lots of grocery store produce, extra eggs and grain pellets daily.

hubby says it’s bacon time, and we will find a new daddy pig that treats his lady with respect.
    Any thoughts? Experiences?

2. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

Just curious, how large is the boar?
    If Ruby returns to estrus then she isn't pregnant. She should remain in heat for about 3 weeks more or less.
    Does she lock up or exhibit standing heat?
    Our Guineas are docile and friendly. Any signs otherwise and they are culled, which is rare.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

You don't give a time frame as to how long his interest in the sow has been happening. If she was pregnant he wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested in her and would not be hassling her in the way you describe.

Sows come into oestrus every 21 days but there is a lead up of between 3-4 days, standing heat and then another 3-4 days as she comes off so you can be looking at over a week of idiotic behaviour!

I know absolutely nothing about American Guinnea hogs but at a year old most breeds of pigs are able to breed, and breed safely. If you see your sow coming on to heat it pays to make a note of it.

Boredom in a smaller pen can be an issue but probably not to the extent you're talking about. However, for their "mental" health it would be a good idea to provide them with some toys - a tyre to push around, a post hammered into the ground for them to scratch on, a longish bit of old hose for them to drag around, a container half filled with water, newspaper to rip up, weeds from the garden to root around in or even fresh clods of earth. The list goes on, just make sure that what you put in their pen will be safe for them. Pigs are highly intelligent but have a short concentration span but are capable of doing over 100 different activities on any given day. Just a bit of useless information for you:D

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. Mamoo2

Mamoo2 New Member

Thanks for the response! He’s definitely bigger than her. I’m guessing he’s 300 and she’s more like 200-250. But that’s really hard for me to say, being new to pigging.

three weeks in heat? I thought it would last more like 5 days or so... then, how often do AGHs cycle?

i
    Hahah! Ok well the idiotic behavior has been going on for about three weeks. And she was locking up for him in the very beginning, just days after I noticed her physical signs of heat. A few days of locking up. And then She became very vocal and grumpy about his advances. Is that normal? My goodness. Her first heat only seemed to lasted about 5 days, and without any of this fuss

Thanks for the entertainment ideas, I will definitely try them!!

5. Mamoo2

Mamoo2 New Member

It’s hard for me to estimate.He’s a good bit bigger than her. I’m guessing he’s heavier than he looks. He might be 350lbs and her 250.

Three weeks in heat!? Wow!
    If this is the case, then How often do AGHs go into heat? i assumed she was pregnant because I believed she should have left heat after about 5 days or so... her first heat seemed to only last about 5 days.

6. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

No, no they're not on heat for 3 weeks, it is 3 weeks between heats.

Most of us who keep pigs will note down the date of her heat and then watch her behaviour in 21 days. If she's calm and plods on as normal it's pretty safe to say she's pregnant.
    AGHs will come into heat every 21 days the same as any other breed, and yes her heat period should last between 4 and 7 days - that will depend on the pig.

If he is still being an idiot with her I would suggest removing him if you can to give her some respite, and if you have a date for when she is likely to come back on heat, put him back with her 3-4 days before that date.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

Mamoo2 likes this.
  7. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

Lol, Ronny is correct. I should have written that it is 3 weeks BETWEEN estrus if they are not pregnant. They won't stay in heat, for us, more than 3-5 days max. The impregnating is pretty simple. If the pig makes a poke, then it is usually done.
    You can get a pretty good idea of your hog's weight with just a tape measure. Measure the length from the back of their ear to the base of the tail. Then measure the circumference of the chest area just behind the front legs. If the circumference is ie 44", then square that (44x44=1936). If your pig is 39" long then multiply 1936x39=75,504. Divide that number by 400 and you should get about 189 lbs.

Mamoo2 likes this.