Bad Christmas Presents

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by FarmGoddess, Dec 5, 2006.

1. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

There is a similar thead about bad Christmas presents on General Chat but it sorta wandered off in a different direction. Let's try here and see what happens.

My DH is notorius for very bad presents. One year he thought I would be overjoyed with an oil change. Then there's that wonderful 46 piece tool set. And some godawful cassettes of a type of music I have never ever listened to, nor intend to start. He is totally clueless when it comes to gift giving of any sort.

I'm use to it by now, however it does make opening Christmas presents a bit stressful. It's rather hard to garner enthisiams over a set of socket wrenches...

:hobbyhors :hobbyhors :hobbyhors

2. PcH8er

PcH8er Well-Known Member

Just give him a list of what you want, and he can pick from that. Just put anything you can think of that you would like and then tell him to pick a couple of items from the list. Thats what we do in our house. This way you know you will get something that you want and can really use.

3. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, I agree!

But there was my second-now-ex husband who, when I asked for a wooden rocking chair, gave me a fishing rod and reel. ( I don't fish!)

OR, my first-now-ex husband who, when given the list, would buy something I didn't want so that I'd be surprised. :confused:

4. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Buy for youself, wrap it, and put his name on it !!! WILL HE REALLY NOTICE ?!?!

5. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

LOL! Sounds like they are buying you what THEY want.

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Buy him what YOU want!

Pony!

6. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

MY husband used to give me no presents. Nothing for Christmas, b'day, Anniversary--he wasn't mean, he just doesn't get the surprise thing. So when my kids were pre-teens they would TELL him what to by, wrap it and surprise me... One year I got a really nice, expensive ,pro-type basketball! DH plays, children all play and very well, I might add (but I can't walk and chew gum at the same time). DH thought it was really funny because HE had wanted this basketball for a long time. So the next Christmas, I gave him some wonderful, very expensive cookware ( he can't boil water and wouldn't know how to make ice water --if he had to use more than two items in the kitchen). This still goes on alot at our house. He buys a gun and says I bought you something! I buy a set of dishes and tell him "I saw these and thought you would love them"!!! :dance: :p We have fun and get to open real surprises...QB

7. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

The first year we were married I got a game system for Christmas (huh, I didn't know I played video games?). Then I got a really nice fishing real (he put it on his pole since I never used it). The next year I told him I wanted something for ME if he wanted to buy me something. He did actually buy me a sewing machine that year (which I still have 13 years later) but later that day he brought me cloths he wanted to know if I could repair for him now that I have a machine :rolleyes: We were really too poor to afford presents anymore for each other (we had kids to buy for after that), so it all worked out. No more presents.

This year though we just picked out a joint present. We both wanted to try our hand at playing the Banjo, so we actually picked one out last night we both liked and we'll be getting that for ourselves.

Oh, I forgot one year he did buy me something for my birthday. He use to race BMX bikes and obviously liked to ride bikes (we lived in town right by nice bike paths). So he bought me a bike that I actually LOVE (and still have, no where to ride it anymore, but I won't give it up, it's the coolest flame beach cruiser). The night before my birthday, after I went to bed, he stayed up with the kids construction paper and scissors and cut out "happy birthday", each letter a piece of constuction paper, and put it out in front of the bike he gave me. He also bought a trailer so we could take the kids. It was very sweet and probably the nicest thing he's done for a present for me.

8. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

My husband gets a list...we've been married for 34 years and we've agreed to no more than 3 gifts and whatever for the stockings which is normally the same thing. We don't do gifts for our anniversary we buy something for the house but I do want to give and get a gift from/to my husband on Christmas.

Edited to add the worst gift dh ever gave me was a macrame hanging fish bowl, even the gold fish was sea sick! Thus began the list making!

9. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

DH got me a 4-way tire iron one year...I was NOT pleased. About as bad as a friend who got a bucket of light bulbs from her hubby. We no longer buy for each other but generally choose something for the house or garden. This year we are getting ourselves digital camera and more blueberry bushes. DEE

10. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

After several years of not being able to buy anything for each other (we each came to the relationship with a child, then had 2 more), I gave hubby a small card to keep in his wallet. It lists my favorite color, flower, perfume, authors, musical artists, movies and all my sizes. Whenever it falls apart, he asks me to copy it over for him. I ALWAYS get great gifts now. Last year was a diamond and emerald pendant with matching earrings. Mothers Day this year brought the matching ring. This year I am trying to convince him that I really DO want new cookware, as mine is all beat up, bent and warped. ( It will be relegated to the camping/bug out box.) Of course, I have a similar card in my purse for DH, as well as all the kids and grandkids. Makes shopping SO much easier.

11. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Great idea Ninn but I would need to change it ever so often because I change my likes and dislikes often. Queen Bee

12. Ohio dreamer

Ohio dreamer 1/2 bubble off plumb

A friend and I were talking about this this morning. Her husband isn't a gift buyer, she usually get's something for herself. Last year for their anniversary he did get her a gift. I was the "silk" year (not sure the number that is) and he's a stickler or following the list when he buys. So he got her some nice silk flowers. She gratefully accepted them but has never had the heart to tell him they are the flowers you buy for the top of gravestones! She has found a container for them and now puts them on her front door inthe spring.

13. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

One year my dad got my mom a nice set of steak knives. Only problem with that is that she's been a vegetarian for the last 40 some years. :nono:

Another year he got her a wastepaper bin--nothing fancy, just a small plastic trashcan you might put in a bathroom. :shrug:

They are no longer married.

Funnier one--the first Christmas after my guy's sister got married, my guy's parents got their brand new son-in-law a set of nose hair trimmers! :p No hinting going on there, right? :D

My mom constantly buys me clothes and shoes that don't fit, or that she should really know I won't like, or both. When will she learn that women's clothes do not come in standardized sizes, and that buying someone fitted items (fancy suits, pants, shoes, etc.) is a long shot at best? I'm so easy to buy for--I have so many interests, and they're no secret--why does it always have to be clothes?

14. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Two years ago I specificly stated what I wanted, a spinning wheel. Okay, he told me to find what I wanted. I found it online. He told me to order it. Since the ball was in my court I went ahead and ordered the stool and extra bobbins to go with it.

Last year, same thing. I ordered more bobbins for my spinning wheel. The year prior to the wheel, he took me to the jewelry store and forced me to pick out a ring. Ruby with diamonds.

If he ever gave me a socket wrench set I would thank him and return it for a full refund. If it was something he really really wanted, I may even GIVE it to someone else just so he couldn't use it.

15. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

The last Xmas before my mom deserted us, she gave me a green umbrella- I think I was 11.may've been 12, But I think I was 11.
    I already had a pink one...

16. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

This year I am getting what a want for Christmas. A milking machine for my goat girls! And since about a dozen of them are due to drop kiddies between Christmas and New Year, a whole bunch of sweet baby goaties...

Christmas goats! Can't think of a better gift...

:hobbyhors :hobbyhors :hobbyhors

17. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

Oh that breaks my heart.

18. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

When I was a junior in High School I got a pair of electic sissors. Thats it, and they didnt even work.

Alice in Virginia

19. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Broke my heart for you too, just like SweetSarah said.

FarmGoddess, do you have a picture of this or a website where we can see it? Congratulations!

20. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmm... how 'bout a three foot tall, solid blue ceramic persian? LOL